Food Plots Food plot failures

megalomaniac

It doesn't always work out the way we want...

Here's a 2.5 acre field that was in sorgham, millet, beans, etc this summer, then bushhogged, sprayed, and drilled with rye, radishes, clover, peas, and buckwheat... then 9in rain and it went underwater. Waited 2 weeks to dry out and broadcast rye on top... then it rained 5 more inches and went underwater again.

You can see all the stubble/ stalks in the field plus a few puny radishes scattered. Otw total failure.

The second pic is the same mix on some higher ground. It did OK, but not nearly as good as years past.

I'm thinking hard about planting the failed field in corn next summer and just leaving it standing and not planting it next fall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-142231_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-142231_Gallery.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_20211110-142311_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-142311_Gallery.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 73

JCDEERMAN

That's tough. I think corn would be a safe option. As long as it doesn't get drowned out throughout the summer, you'll be promised to provide food that fall......and cover

megalomaniac

If the field is standing wet for weeks I would spend my efforts at creating a waterway to get excess water off the field and rip the soil with a sub soil tool to break the hard pan and get that water down in the soil. Sounds like a lot of your seed rotted or drowned
All the seed rotted or drowned. Subsoilng wouldn't help, as the water table isn't too far under the surface on this field. To turn it into productive land, I would need to drill in drainage tiles leading to a lift station to pump out the excess water.

I'm willing to install the tiles, just can't justify running electricity to power a pump.

Normal moisture years in the fall it does ok (not great, because pH is 8.0... due to excessive salts from poor drainage). Last year it produced pretty well. But 14 in rain in 1.5 weeks this planting season was a disaster...

So... its either focus on a summer crop which will do fairly well if we get normal moisture, or try to cut some ditches around the field to divert drainage water from the surrounding hillsides from ponding on this hydritic ground.

The soil is not compact... when pulling samples, I can easily push a hand drill 6in into the soil to collect samples.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have never installed tile. I have been fortunate enough to be able to resolve wet areas by creating a terrace to direct water and or broad based ditching for drainage. Unless you want a pond I would go with corn and beans and leave it standing. Also broadcast sulfur with your fertilizer to adjust PH

Latest posts