FLU shot Story (s)

DaveB

DaveB

Okay, dint want to add to RUGER's flu thread so started this.

In 1976 the news was all aflutter with word of the "Swine Flu" outbreak that was killing people left and right and was going to decimate the world population and people (mostly Chinese) who have ducks and chickens and pigs all together are at fault.

My Employer at the time was First National Bank of Miami, largest in the state-I ran 2nd and 3rd shift of check processing in the Miami facility. Our Company CEO wanted every employee to get the vaccination. So much so, the Company decided to pay for it. I said, ummm, nah, I'll pass and was promptly pulled aside and told to get the shot or lose my job so I stood in line with everyone else.

I did not take another flu shot for over 20 years. I did not get the flu or a cold for that entire time.

Interestingly, the Company CEO came down with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. He eventually recovered but never to the same point of good health.

Kimber45

Kimber45

I’ve taken it most every year for 27 yrs... Had the flu twice... Once when I didn’t take it, turned in to pneumonia and thought I’d die, the next time had the flu about 40 days after the shot with only a mild fever...would’ve worked I felt so minimally bad but the Doc said not until the low grade temp was gone as I’d be contagious

B

buckaroo

I'm supposed to take flu and pneumonia shots, I had spleen removed, if I get a bad case of flu it could be curtains

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
I refuse to take it and won't let my kids take it either. Wife won't take it. We ain't been sick. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
DaveB":3l65dhfk said:
Okay, dint want to add to RUGER's flu thread so started this.

In 1976 the news was all aflutter with word of the "Swine Flu" outbreak that was killing people left and right and was going to decimate the world population and people (mostly Chinese) who have ducks and chickens and pigs all together are at fault.

My Employer at the time was First National Bank of Miami, largest in the state-I ran 2nd and 3rd shift of check processing in the Miami facility. Our Company CEO wanted every employee to get the vaccination. So much so, the Company decided to pay for it. I said, ummm, nah, I'll pass and was promptly pulled aside and told to get the shot or lose my job so I stood in line with everyone else.

I did not take another flu shot for over 20 years. I did not get the flu or a cold for that entire time.

Interestingly, the Company CEO came down with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. He eventually recovered but never to the same point of good health.

Miami bank during the 70's..........Makes me think of the Cocaine Cowboys lol

D

Deer Whisperer

Regardless of taking it or not, this year's shot will not be as effective.
Every year, the "experts" try to predict which strains of flu will be prevalent during the next flu season and formulate the serum accordingly. Based upon which strains are going around now, they predicted wrong. Reports are that this year's shot should be about 10% effective.
This is what I read a couple weeks ago. They may have changed their story by now.

As for me, I don't take the shot.

M

Mike Belt

The only flu shot I've ever had was in the military back when they used the live virus. I got sicker than a dog. That's the only one I've ever had. I realize they no longer use the live virus but once bitten, twice shy.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Took it the first time this year. Everyone at work that didn't take it has been out with the flu this year. Probably a coincidence but made me a believer in it now.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
Doctor told me to get a pneumonia shot this year so she gave me one. I was a 'little" sick, nothing bad at all, for a couple days and then I was fine.

280longshot

280longshot

I have no choice, I work on the research side of a Research Hospital that helps formulate the serum for the shot.
All the researchers and doctors get the shot and everyone else that works here.

E

eddie c

I've noticed that I have less sinus problems and don't have colds as bad if I do take the shot. I skipped one year and got sick as a dog.

I've also noticed that some people just don't get sick.

lightsareout

lightsareout

I got it while in college one year and had the got the flu that year.

My old job I was required to get it one year, had the flu twice that year.

I will never get the shot again.

duckduck84

duckduck84

I've taken it every year, even before it was a requirement for Healthcare employees. I haven't had the flu in forever. You will always hear anecdotal "I took it and got the flu, or so and so got Guillain-Barre from it", but it does prevent illness in alot of people every year.

All this anti-vaccine crap the past few years is hilarious. Life expectancy is at an average of 78 years thanks to modern medicine, but I guess polio and smallpox were better.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

duckduck84":1v3ba2uj said:
I've taken it every year, even before it was a requirement for Healthcare employees. I haven't had the flu in forever. You will always hear anecdotal "I took it and got the flu, or so and so got Guillain-Barre from it", but it does prevent illness in alot of people every year.

All this anti-vaccine crap the past few years is hilarious. Life expectancy is at an average of 78 years thanks to modern medicine, but I guess polio and smallpox were better.

^^^^^All the above^^^^^^

I suspect one factor in the emergence of the anti-vaxxers is the fact that few, if any of them, are old enough to remember the polio outbreaks that once haunted this country.

Good time Charlie

Good time Charlie

Not been sick in many years.I take the flu shot every year

People at church are about dead with one thing or another ,We shake hands and fellowship a lot I never get sick.
(knock on wood) :smash: :smash: :smash:

TNGRIZZLY_

TNGRIZZLY_

Jcalder":1eptljw7 said:
I refuse to take it and won't let my kids take it either. Wife won't take it. We ain't been sick. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am with you on this

DaveB

DaveB

Just to be sure, everyone should know the flu vaccine contains only dead flu virus. The flu bugs are killed. Your body manufactures antidotes to the virus structure. They don't engage in conversation, just murder.

duckduck84

duckduck84

MUP":20qg4rvz said:
I heard the avg life expectancy in the US dropped for the first time in a long time?
By months not years. At some point it's going to fluctuate. 78 is a pretty good average though considering how the majority of the population treats their bodies.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk