Floro coated line

larry ipock

What are the advantages, if any, of using coated line as opposed to florocarbon line. Just wondering. BNeen using florocarbon for a while, but it does get exspensive when you lose a lot of line due to backlashes or birdsnests knots from spinning gear.

hammer33

Its my understanding that Flouro coated mono is more flexible than straight flouro and is a little better with knots and stretches a little more.
Its also less visible than straight mono, a bit more abrasion resistant, and stretches a little less. Its also less expensive than straight flouro.

I like it on my mid to heavy weight rods. I have found it to be a little stiff for ultralight applications as it seems to have a bit of springy memory that promotes tangles on spinning reels. *** Note I do prefer the super limp mono on my light weight rods so I am biased against stiffer lines for light gear. Your mileage may vary***

Safari Hunt

You could get rid of the spinning gear. Never had a spinning reel that didn't get loops buried in the spool. FWIW, I learned to "feather" the line as it came off the spool to keep a tiny bit of tension. Do the same with baitcasting. Never trusted the magnetic brakes. Just set it light and "thumb" the line. Learned on an old knucklebuster about 65 years ago.
Never used fluoro line. Still use plain mono.

larry ipock

Bought my first bait caster in 1980. Used them almost exclusively when I fished Watts Bar. Now I find myself reaching for spinning gear most of the time when fishing Norris and Lake Cumberland due to the clear water. When my Flouro line is used up, may go back to mono full time.

RobDooley

I know of a guy that fishes professionally (not Bassmaster, MLF, etc) and he only uses Berkley Big Game. He swears by it. So...I tried some on a few baitcasters last year and I honestly could not tell a huge difference.

hammer33

Another thing to consider. Fish probably are only going to see the end few feet of your line. So do you need flouro or hybrid on your reel? Most of my rigs have gone back to mono and I tie on a flouro or hybrid leader. That way I get the castability I like and a bit more invisibility and abrasion resistance on my leader.

Latest posts