Florida Turkey Hunting Outfitter

tnhntr

I know it's deer season, but I am planning my spring turkey hunts. Does anybody have any information on a reputable turkey outfitter in Florida? Any experiences with one? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

tnhntr

I am asking if anyone has any info on an outfitter Thanks Gohunt for your info.

GOHUNT

IrishJ said:
RUGER said:
GOHUNT said:
Expect about $2K per bird!!!

I'm sorry but there is NO way I would pay that. Heck I wouldn't pay that for a deer hunt. :eek:

I agree. I'd go 2K for an all inclusive Rio or especially a Oscellated. I don't know why Osceola's are so much more expensive.

Because the geographic area to harvest these birds is so limited. They essentially have a monopoly!

banyan slayer

tnhntr said:
I know it's deer season, but I am planning my spring turkey hunts. Does anybody have any information on a reputable turkey outfitter in Florida? Any experiences with one? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

There is a great Osceola turkey hunter on this forum by the call name Stoner. He is a good reference point. Also, if you go on floridasportsman.com and go to forums and down to hunting there are guys there that advertise their services. I can tell you that I grew up in TN and passed on turkey hunting all my life due to a lack of interest. My uncle convinced me to go down here a few years ago and ever since then I have spent every spare minute I have trying to kill Osceolas. They are awesome to hunt and worth every mosquito bite! Good luck and if you need more help, just give me a shout, I'll try to help out since I live down here in the thick of it.

tnhntr

Thanks banyan slayer for the info. It's a good starting point. I realize that I am going to pay some money and am ok with that.

banyan slayer

tnhntr said:
Thanks banyan slayer for the info. It's a good starting point. I realize that I am going to pay some money and am ok with that.

Right now we are putting in for quota hunts(Nov). I think if you were inclined and knew the general region you were willing to travel, that you could pay a lot less to get an out of state license and mgmt stamp and then put in for a possible quota draw. If you got drawn then you could use it and if you didnt get drawn, you can then book your guide. We are allowed to have a guest on our quota permits now so that would help as well. If I were a better turkey hunter I would volunteer to call for you which I would still be willing to do but I am no master turkey hunter just a young fledgling to the sport. I am good at scouting and know a bunch of the mgmt areas pretty well so if you are interested, let me know.

Stoner

banyan slayer said:
tnhntr said:

There is a great Osceola turkey hunter on this forum by the call name Stoner. He is a good reference point. Also, if you go on floridasportsman.com and go to forums and down to hunting there are guys there that advertise their services. I can tell you that I grew up in TN and passed on turkey hunting all my life due to a lack of interest. My uncle convinced me to go down here a few years ago and ever since then I have spent every spare minute I have trying to kill Osceolas. They are awesome to hunt and worth every mosquito bite! Good luck and if you need more help, just give me a shout, I'll try to help out since I live down here in the thick of it.

I appreciate the kind comment, I do not know if I am a great hunter but I do enjoy chasing Osceola�s. Most of my turkey hunting is in West Central Florida, Hernando and Citrus Counties. If I was going to hunt for a trophy Osceola I would hunt above I-4. The northern boundary of the Osceola range is if you draw an east west line across the state over the town of Gainesville. The one management area that you hear a great about is the Green Swamp Management area northeast of Lakeland. It is a good area to hunt but there is a lot of people there hunting as well. The Green Swamp area has a lot of hardwood bottoms and is the headwater areas for the Withlacoochee and Hillsborough Rivers. I hunted there many years ago when it first was open to the public. I personally would not waste my time there anymore due to the number of people hunting that area. Another management area that maybe is worth a closer look is Richloam Management Area. It is located in Hernando and Lake Counties. I have not hunted this area in many years, but it does have some nice Osceola�s. When I was hunting that area it did not get a lot of pressure and was overlooked by many hunters due to its location. There are some hotels and a Cracker Barrel to stay and eat not far from Richloam; they are located at the intersection of I-75 and US HWY 50. Someone mentioned above about checking the regulations for the management areas to determine if they have a special quota hunt that you have to apply for, that is good advice. For the last twenty years I have been hunting private land and try to hunt every day of the season. Osceola is a challenging bird to hunt. Many people say that they will not readily come into a call like an Eastern. That is not true; they will come in just like an Eastern. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask. I live in some of the best Osceola country there is. Below is a picture of a nice dominant Osceola from this last spring.

P1050055.jpg

P1050033.jpg

banyan slayer

Stoner said:
banyan slayer said:
tnhntr said:

I appreciate the kind comment, I do not know if I am a great hunter but I do enjoy chasing Osceola�s. Most of my turkey hunting is in West Central Florida, Hernando and Citrus Counties. If I was going to hunt for a trophy Osceola I would hunt above I-4. The northern boundary of the Osceola range is if you draw an east west line across the state over the town of Gainesville. The one management area that you hear a great about is the Green Swamp Management area northeast of Lakeland. It is a good area to hunt but there is a lot of people there hunting as well. The Green Swamp area has a lot of hardwood bottoms and is the headwater areas for the Withlacoochee and Hillsborough Rivers. I hunted there many years ago when it first was open to the public. I personally would not waste my time there anymore due to the number of people hunting that area. Another management area that maybe is worth a closer look is Richloam Management Area. It is located in Hernando and Lake Counties. I have not hunted this area in many years, but it does have some nice Osceola�s. When I was hunting that area it did not get a lot of pressure and was overlooked by many hunters due to its location. There are some hotels and a Cracker Barrel to stay and eat not far from Richloam; they are located at the intersection of I-75 and US HWY 50. Someone mentioned above about checking the regulations for the management areas to determine if they have a special quota hunt that you have to apply for, that is good advice. For the last twenty years I have been hunting private land and try to hunt every day of the season. Osceola is a challenging bird to hunt. Many people say that they will not readily come into a call like an Eastern. That is not true; they will come in just like an Eastern. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask. I live in some of the best Osceola country there is. Below is a picture of a nice dominant Osceola from this last spring.

modesty duly noted! in my book you are a great turkey hunter. that is a great bird. i got a special opp for lake panesoffskee which i am already fired up about and put in again this year for the lake tracy unit which last year was on fire with birds but couldnt get one to get close enough to smoke but if i get drawn there will be a bird down i can almost guarantee!!!

Stoner

banyan slayer said:
Stoner said:
banyan slayer said:
tnhntr said:

modesty duly noted! in my book you are a great turkey hunter. that is a great bird. i got a special opp for lake panesoffskee which i am already fired up about and put in again this year for the lake tracy unit which last year was on fire with birds but couldnt get one to get close enough to smoke but if i get drawn there will be a bird down i can almost guarantee!!!

Banyan, Lake Panesoffskee is very near where I hunt. I have never hunted that unit, it must be a relative new unit. I good side trip that you would enjoy is stopping by Tim Clayton's shop. Tim is a great custom call maker and a great guy. Tim has won several national awards. Let me know when you head down this way. Stoner

Latest posts