Flooding a field?

TN Whitetail Freak

So my question is knowing that one inch if rainfall drops approximately 27000 gallons of water on 1 acre if the rain hits 70 acres does that mean there is about 1.8 million gallons of water on the field?

TN Whitetail Freak

Idk, I'm just seeing if that's the way to calculate rainfall assuming rainfall is even I'm not understanding why topography is needed for the math new to it.

Polar Kraft

TN Whitetail Freak":1fdpmj8b said:
Idk, I'm just seeing if that's the way to calculate rainfall assuming rainfall is even I'm not understanding why topography is needed for the math new to it.
There is no reason to include the topo. Assuming even rain across the entire 70 acres that would be the way I'd calculate it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ImThere

It depends on if you want to know what fell on the 70 acres or what stayed on the 70 acres. Is what I got out of Micks post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

You also have to calculate what run off ends up there and account for soil type and moisture content. A saturated soil will stand water quicker than dry, and the structure and texture of the soil will affect how long it takes for the water to leak out through the soil profile.

I think it will be quicker to learn by experience than to try to calculate where the water will be.

ImThere

MickThompson":19vm2cfb said:
You also have to calculate what run off ends up there and account for soil type and moisture content. A saturated soil will stand water quicker than dry, and the structure and texture of the soil will affect how long it takes for the water to leak out through the soil profile.

I think it will be quicker to learn by experience than to try to calculate where the water will be.

I thought that was what your were referring to but none of this stops 1.8 million from falling on 70 acres.

MickThompson

No,but seeing how this is in the waterfowl forum, I assumed he has getting at when, and how much, water would be on a field he intended to hunt.

TN Whitetail Freak

MickThompson":192gbo42 said:
No,but seeing how this is in the waterfowl forum, I assumed he has getting at when, and how much, water would be on a field he intended to hunt.

Yea we are due an inch of water in a few night and was wondering if it was gonna be enough to put water on a place. 5acres

Crosshairy

I would say the first inch makes puddles and mud, unless it's a clay bottom or something. Obviously if you had a low spot that it all drained to, then you might have a decent pool form. As others said, experience with the spot is the best metric

TN Whitetail Freak

Crosshairy":31eb6d43 said:
I would say the first inch makes puddles and mud, unless it's a clay bottom or something. Obviously if you had a low spot that it all drained to, then you might have a decent pool form. As others said, experience with the spot is the best metric

Yea the whole 70 acres drains to front of hunting spot. And it's still damp from the mid November rain

TN Whitetail Freak

Well I got 1 million gallon of rain water and ground soaked up about 998000 gallons of it. Anyone have experience with electric field pumps? There's one on site but it looks like an industrial spaceship and I don't wanna do anything to ruin it. I just want it to pump water. It was installed specifically to flood the place but I never looked to it because I'm no mechanical genius and it hasn't been used in about 3-5 years

Latest posts