Flashlight use?

Appalachian American

New to turkey hunting. I went and didn't hear a single thing this morning. Wondering if I should use a flashlight to get to where I found some turkey sign today (3/4 mile back in big/tight woods) so I can get closer before they wake up. I generally have been going in at "grey light" when I can just barely make it without a light in the woods.

Should I get close to where I think they might be and cut the lights and listen? Will my light mess up the hunt? Thanks in advance!

-AA

Setterman

Walking in the woods as open as they are during pre dawn will most certainly spook birds. My experience is that flashlights, four wheelers, trucks etc don't bother them when it's black dark. Just keep your light on the ground or right in front and don't shine in the trees.

I killed a bird Saturday that I sat down at 6:30 est, bird was roosted 100 yards from me and I had pooped with headlight on and walked in with the same light. As long as it's black dark you can get dang close

2in1shot

Setterman":39ig5iia said:
Walking in the woods as open as they are during pre dawn will most certainly spook birds. My experience is that flashlights, four wheelers, trucks etc don't bother them when it's black dark. Just keep your light on the ground or right in front and don't shine in the trees.

I killed a bird Saturday that I sat down at 6:30 est, bird was roosted 100 yards from me and I had pooped with headlight on and walked in with the same light. As long as it's black dark you can get dang close

2x. I always get in and settled when possible in black dark. Then I will adjust location if necessary after flydown. But I never use a light when within 200 yards of roosted birds. And I never use a four wheeler or make any out of the ordinary disturbances.

catman529

I don't use a light unless I really have to, like in a thicket where limbs are everywhere or uneven terrain where I could fall or make too much noise... if you gotta use it, use the lowest setting and keep it pointed at the ground. Shouldn't be a problem, especially if it's all the way dark

megalomaniac

agree with the above, move to where you want to be with impunity during pitch black. but then stay put during the 30 min before flydown. Better to wait till you know they are out of the tree after flydown before relocating or you will spook birds.

Mike Belt

If it's dark enough to need a flashlight I use one and have never had a problem (that I'm certain of). Birds coming off the roost and flying away from my location has happened on multiple occasions but I can't really say that's because they may have seen my light prior to daylight or they're just being turkeys.

LanceS4803

I have a really cool flashlight that is made to not be seen by night vision devices. Casts a wide, adjustable brightness, light.
Works great and the Army will never miss it.

Latest posts