fixed blades for fast xbow?

fishboy1

Used the Nap 2 blade mechanical heads last year. Flew good, made nice holes but I can't help but believe that that third blade sticking up making the cut diameter bigger wouldn't help make a faster kill and better blood trail.

Anybody use fixed blade heads in a fast xbow? My barnett is shooting 368fps. Will wind planing be an issue?
How do you "tune" an xbow to get FP and broadheads hitting the same?

Thanks!

TheLBLman

I helped a friend set up a custom crossbow (purchased thru http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.ph ... cts_id=260 ) and the most highly recommended fixed blade seemed to be the Slick Trick Originals (standards) which are a 4-blade head in the 100 gr version. Of course, you need the right bolts to have the correct FOC, but according to them, better flight obtained with heavier brass inserts and lighter weight (100 gr) broadheads. Bolts using aluminum inserts would commonly need a heavier 125-150gr head to get ideal FOC.

fishboy1":8a0m1goj said:
. . . . . . I can't help but believe that that third blade sticking up making the cut diameter bigger wouldn't help make a faster kill and better blood trail.
All things being equal, more cutting edge with a 4-blade than a 3-blade.
But this particular 4-blade is a little smaller diameter than the 3-blades most are using, so probably equals about the same cutting.
Advantage is smaller diameter flies better, while a 4-blade can make more of an open bleeding "hole" than just a "cut".
For years, 4-blade Slick Trick wounds have been described as being much like shotgun "slug holes".

http://slicktrick.net/

fishboy1

Gaaaah ! I gave a pack of slick tricks away. I have some regular muzzy 100 gr. 3 blades.

My experience with the big 2 blade heads has been mixed. Yes, big holes.... but the deer seemed to take longer to bleed out. I think having the round hole that wont close vs a long cut would make for a better blood trail if you had a high hit or a fatty deer.

TheLBLman

fishboy1":3jhtsls4 said:
I think having the round hole that wont close vs a long cut would make for a better blood trail if you had a high hit or a fatty deer.
There used to be a head called Razorback 5 which had 5 blades. Back in the 80's, I knew a very accomplished bear hunter in Canada who swore by this approximately 1" diameter head because it produced a blood-pouring "hole" that wouldn't close off like he claimed many 3 & 4-blade heads would on very fat bears.

I never tried that head, but for me, the best flying fixed blades have been Slick Tricks. I've been using 1 1/8" diameter Slick Tricks in various weights/versions (all 4-blades), but am thinking about switching to the 1" diameter "originals". General rule of thumb is smaller diameter fixed blades will fly better and retain downrange velocity better (in part because you may be able to get away with less fletching).

I believe consistent shooting accuracy is more important than cutting diameter; reliability is more important than cutting diameter; and most any sharp head will do if it's reliable and shoots consistently. Quality fixed blades will always be more reliable than even the best quality mechanicals.

fishboy1

I have never liked mechanicals. It is one additional potential point of failure. The only reason I used them on the Xbow was that I was told that the high FPS of the bow would make using fixed blades iffy due to wind planing.
I would PREFER to use a quality fixed blade head over a mech.

Guess I will put on a couple muzzys and give them a whirl. Hopefully they will shoot same POI as the field points.

fishboy1

Muzzy fixed 3 blades worked great in my x-bow during practice and hammered a doe today !

They actually shoot a little better than the mechanicals did.

Latest posts