Fish limit question

Crow Terminator

I have wondered that myself. I guess the burden of providing proof would be on you for sure, depending on who/which officer you were stopped by. I can say if you've ever watched that Texas game warden show, you'd be ticketed for the fish but they like writing tickets for every thing.

TNCharlie

I might be wrong, but I think you need his TWRA number and info with the fish.

I've seen this discussed on here before and that's what I remember. I think (THINK, don't know) that along with any fish you give away you are supposed to give a note with your name and TWRA number. That gives the LEO a way to verify the legality of the fish.

I still don't quite grasp the possession limit rule. It sounds simple but doesn't seem to match reality. But that's for a another discussion.

scn

There is a lot of misinformation floating around in this thread.

Possession Limits: The total possession limit is twice the daily creel limit. You may not have more than the daily creel limit with you while afield. It is unlawful to have, while afield, any fish which has been altered so that its species and/or total body length cannot be determined.

Afield means away from your permanent abode. It includes where you are camping or staying temporarily as well as driving to your permanent abode.

As said earlier, the burden of proof is on the angler to be able to prove that possessing over the creel limit is not in violation of the proclamation. Most officers are pretty reasonable about it, but likely are not just going to take you at your word that somebody else caught half the fish.

At a minimum, I would want a dated, signed statement from my fishing buddy that documents how many fish and of what species he gave you. It should include his TWRA License number. Additional "proof" such as pictures of him/her with their limit would help if stopped.

And, it would not be legal to have three limits even if they were given to you by two other fishermen as it would put you over the possession limit even if back at your house.

MickThompson

@scn : regarding bag limits vs possession limits, is this the same with tagged game? If I kill 2 bucks (or 4 does) and check them in accordance with the law on consecutive days while at deer camp, have I violated the bag limit?

Latest posts