First turkey hunt=No luck

DoubleTap89

Started out at about 7am this morning with JRoberts238 and we were calling and gettin some good responses but they eventually died down. Did we over call them or just in a bad location? I would love some advice

Orion6

I think sometimes we all get too anxious when we have located one gobbling, and maybe call too much. If he answers once, he knows where you are. It's fun to make them gobble, but if you're answering every gobble with more calling, he's expecting you to come to him (a hen), and I've seen them lock up and stay put.

I'd call a little less, and softer, and just be patient. If you don't have other hens around yelping he'll get impatient. :)

Also, turkeys just do what they want. He might come in like gangbusters next time you go. Early season is easy some years, some years it's tough.

catman529

Yep if he's gobbling on the ground and has hens, you will likely have to convince the hens to come your way and the toms will follow, but that doesn't usually work... If a lone bird is gobbling, try to set up within 100 yd or so depending on the type of cover you have to move without getting busted. Call to him a few times sparingly so he knows you are there. If he keeps gobbling and doesn't drift away, he will probably come in to check you out at some point. Curiosity gets the better of a hot lone gobbler

Good luck, my first hunt didn't kill, but I have started to figure it out since then. Wait till your first bird is on the ground. Nothing like it.