First time still hunting?

HuntnMoon

Rough title but hey I guess I'm not all that creative, moving on I am a 6 year bow hunting veteran that exclusively hunts from tree stands, I feel I am pretty decent moving around the woods however and as of recent have begun still hunting with my muzzleloader In The late season trying to put as much meat on the table as possible. I am looking for advice, tips from some of the experts and all others as well who have still hunted a good bit with success, looking also to see how much distance you usually cover and how fast. Do you walk In to a spot then begin or park and get to it . Thanks looking forward to the advice

Stickay03

The best advice I can give... do it when it's really windy or wet. If you can't be quiet you will not have success. I can't tell you how many deer I have walked up on laying on the ground just relaxing that had no clue I was there (all thanks to the wind or wet leaves with very little crunch if any) I choose wind over wetness because you're gonna snap sticks etc no matter how hard you try to avoid it even with the ground saturated - with the wind and some good camo, you can walk pretty close up on a deer without them having a clue. I don't believe in a formula when it comes to speed and distance traveled - it literally depends on how quiet you can be. Move as little as possible (you shouldn't be walking through there like a sasquatch swaying your arms) Slow and steady and lots of pauses to see what is around you. I also listen to wildlife - birds will give away movement in the woods and squirrels will too. I have also found many deer down in ditches, laying down behind logs, basically I figure to try and escape the wind and cover themselves. I can't say that for a fact but I can say I've seen it a lot - also in low spots when windy. I'm not a pro hunter nor do I work for Primos but I've got 4 deer so far this year and I don't go hunting that much so I'm doing alright lol

HuntnMoon

Dang, that does sound slower than I have been going I've been more either sitting or walking slowly to a new spot, maybe that is not still hunting. So do you "scout" an general area where deer move or do you stalk to a known spot?

Stickay03

I just go walking until I find deer lol A lot of the time down the edges of fields looking down into woods (it's really quiet walking the edge of a grass field or down an old road that's packed down) and also along the tops of ridges looking down. I haven't hunted tons of different places but deer here LOVE to travel ridges here. If I see them up and moving on a known trail and I'm on the edge of the woods I'll back off so they can't see me and walk a normal pace ahead of the deer and then ease my way down into the woods to ambush them where I know from previous experience the trail leads. If I can do it while only sitting 5 yards into the woods, even better. Preferably the closest area between me and the trail so I don't gotta go crunching 100 yards through the woods in other words but far enough ahead to not be seen. It helps to learn travel routes, bedding areas, and food sources. If you go out and see a deer but spook it, walk on down to where you seen it and try to figure out why it was there and follow the trail for future knowledge. To me, finding deer is the easy part - getting close for a good shot is the hard part. The only time I sit is when I've got myself ahead of deer. I like to prop on my knee or a branch when shooting to ensure buck fever don't decide where my bullet goes lol I hunt on a farm that my grandpa owns and he rides a 4 wheeler out there everyday along the fences to check and make sure none are down. Walking in his 4 wheeler tracks is a great way to be quiet too. I also use cow trails and deer trails - all I can really say since I don't know your area is to go walking and be quiet.

EastHipster

See them before they see you :)

In the early season, I walked up on about 6 Deer.
I wore Moccasins and early morning damp ground was the best.

I hung some unwaxed Dental Floss off of my Bow so I could watch the wind and I checked it often with powder.

The PROBLEM I had was that I kept on getting too close without seeing them (this was when there were still leaves..) and I Never got a Shot.

Sure was fun though.

catman529

most of the time you have to be very very slow, spend a lot more time standing still and inspecting the woods for any sign of a deer and move only a few feet at a time. Wet leaves make it much quieter, but a popping twig makes much more sound than any leaves. So plan where to step before you take a few steps, so you don't pop twigs.

more than once I have accidentally walked up on deer and had shot opportunities but that's just lucky when a deer doesn't see you till you are in range and it doesn't run away right away.

If I was trying to put as much meat on the table now I would be hunting from a stand over a slightly open area (for a clear shot) inside a privet thicket in a creek bottom with heavy deer trails where the does like to travel a lot. Either that, or I'd be hunting from the ground in a familiar cedar thicket hoping a deer would slide through there quietly like they do.

If you aren't hunting very pressured land, field edges in the evening can be great if you got one area where deer love to come out into the field often. I kind of shy away from fields on public land because a lot of guys like to plop their butts down in a field edge and hope to bust a deer. Even then I have still seen deer in fields in evening during late season. You never know...

HuntnMoon

I hunt heavyily pressured public land, funny thing is though this time of year in the right spot even though I know the deer still have been pressured there are not many hunters out there. That's what made me
Want to start moving more with the ML, creek bottoms and thickets are what I try to move to and around but no luck yet, in another twist of irony I seem to be able walk up on deer when I hike all the time and thats with a dog and a kid hanging off my shoulders??

156p&y

Still hunting is one my favorite and best tactics that I use. I've killed more big deer on the ground than I have from a stand.

My dad passed on a lot I have learned but I've also picked up several things over the years that have helped me tremendously.

I'm usually stopped and glassing more than I move and in some instances I pretty much stand in one spot for maybe an hour. If your getting hot while still hunting your moving way too fast. The hardest thing for me is to remind myself is to slow down and relax. Usually I try to stop beside a tree so I have some cover in case a deer comes up on me. My goal is to hunt without bumping any deer. I learned a long time ago that I need to have my eyes up when I'm moving, not staring at the ground. Usually after I have been still for a little while I'll then look at the ground and memorize where my feet need to go that way when I move my eyes can be up and scanning. Probably the best piece of equipment I have for still hunting is my binoculars. I have a pair off Steiner predators which work perfect for glassing while still hunting. Another big item I think is a face mask, you can get away with much more if your face is covered well. I have to really pay attention to the wind and I constantly check my backside. I've caught several good deer that I have passed and once I get a little ways from them they get up and and try to slip out.

Latest posts