First time duck hunter

Beardendy88

So next year I plan to go duck hunting a few times with some buddies. I have a good shotgun but I heard I should not shot steel shot out of a shotgun I have just used for rabbits, squirrel, and turkeys. So do I need to get a new shotgun or am I good?

thetoolman

Not sure why you shouldn't shoot steel unless you have a fixed choke of some sort. But if it will not shoot steel, then yes you will have to get another shotgun.

Bullfrog

^^^^Yep, as long as the barrel isn't stamped, saying not to shoot steel, you should be good. It'd take a mighty old gun for that to be the case(damascus barrel)

mike243

I dont think your suposed to shoot steel shot out of a full choke.a real duck hunter will be along & set you straight before the season opens lol

pathfindr92

What make/model? When was your gun made? What chokes do you have in it? Need this info to give you an answer. Most new chokes will say steel/lead or lead only, but an old barrel wont be stamped "lead only."

Your other option is to shoot bismuth, kent's "tungsten matrix" or hevi's "classic doubles". Wont matter then.

benellivol

Do not shoot lead out of a full choke.

If you've ever had your barrel polished for turkey hunting, get another gun. Steel will beat the crap out of the barrel.