First Time Deer Hunter Advice

Jack12

Well, kinda first time. Ive sat in a blind a couple times down in Texas, but we didn't see any.
I'm more familiar with bird hunting, though considering I moved to middle TN, figured I would enjoy becoming more involved in deer game. I am patiently awaiting gun season, as I do not have a bow (that will be next years big purchase), but I have a few questions I'm hoping the men and women here would be able to help answer:
- It looks like I will only have access to public land. Do those pieces of land typically hold a large amount of hunters? Im happy to walk in as deep as needed, though I don't want to disturb anyone elses hunt as I'm scouting, walking, hunting, etc.
- Maybe more nuanced, but my deer hunting friends in Texas say they will hold off on taking deer -- and this seems pretty common among deer hunters. Given Middle Tennessee's great population of deer, and considering I will be on public land, if I were to pass on a deer, there isn't really a guarantee that somebody else wont take it? Im trying to understand the best practice for this part of the country's view on taking or passing on game.
- The third question is any general advice some of you vets may have. I have been reading and talking to others about their experiences, and I feel comfortable about the process of hunting deer, but anything that may be specific to Middle TN (and the public land here) is greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long post. Thanks everyone!

DeerCamp

Well, kinda first time. Ive sat in a blind a couple times down in Texas, but we didn't see any.
I'm more familiar with bird hunting, though considering I moved to middle TN, figured I would enjoy becoming more involved in deer game. I am patiently awaiting gun season, as I do not have a bow (that will be next years big purchase), but I have a few questions I'm hoping the men and women here would be able to help answer:
- It looks like I will only have access to public land. Do those pieces of land typically hold a large amount of hunters? Im happy to walk in as deep as needed, though I don't want to disturb anyone elses hunt as I'm scouting, walking, hunting, etc.
- Maybe more nuanced, but my deer hunting friends in Texas say they will hold off on taking deer -- and this seems pretty common among deer hunters. Given Middle Tennessee's great population of deer, and considering I will be on public land, if I were to pass on a deer, there isn't really a guarantee that somebody else wont take it? Im trying to understand the best practice for this part of the country's view on taking or passing on game.
- The third question is any general advice some of you vets may have. I have been reading and talking to others about their experiences, and I feel comfortable about the process of hunting deer, but anything that may be specific to Middle TN (and the public land here) is greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the long post. Thanks everyone!
Welcome to TN! Former Texas boy here too. I think the first question I would ask is "What is your goal".

Passing deer on public land in the hopes that someone else doesn't shoot them is fools errand.

Hunting deep isn't the goal - hunting where other hunters are not is the goal.

Jack12

Welcome to TN! Former Texas boy here too. I think the first question I would ask is "What is your goal".

Passing deer on public land in the hopes that someone else doesn't shoot them is fools errand.

Hunting deep isn't the goal - hunting where other hunters are not is the goal.
Hey Man, appreciate the response. The goal is to fill the freezer for now, so thats a good note on passing deer. Hunting where others are not is a better way to say what I meant by hunting deep! The hard part is finding where that is!

chewymalone

Much of the public land (WMA's) is only open for quota hunts (and scouting) on specific days/weekends with weapon restrictions, while others may be open in line with the statewide seasons. In most cases, you must also be licensed appropriately (Sportsmans License or WMA Permit). If you haven't already, you need to research the TWRA hunting regulations to be sure you are legal if planning to hunt a WMA. The public land gets hit hard... especially the closer you are to the large metropolitan areas. Consider the middle of the week if you don't want to fight the crowds. That gives a few days for things to settle down from the weekend chaos. Also, there are some areas that are accessible by boat that can lead to more solitude if that's an option for you.

As far as public land etiquette, I would avoid an area like a field on a map if there is a vehicle parked there already and someone is obviously hunting it. Otherwise, public land hunters should expect to bump into other hunters... it's just part of it.

Lastly, I wouldn't pass on a deer that meets your personal harvest goals on public land. Unless you're running cameras (which would certainly be stolen on public land), you don't really know if the buck standing in front of you is king of the local woods or not. Even on private land, there's no guarantee you will see him again.

Last thing, be sure you're having fun. Deer hunting is about the experience and the challenge. Study the woods and find out what about deer hunting drives you to get out there and you will figure the rest out over time. My approach and what I find rewarding has changed several times over the last few decades.

DeerCamp

Hey Man, appreciate the response. The goal is to fill the freezer for now, so thats a good note on passing deer. Hunting where others are not is a better way to say what I meant by hunting deep! The hard part is finding where that is!
My top tips for hunting deer on public land, in order.
* Hunt the weather
* Hunt near cover, not sign ( i.e. scrapes and rubs, most of which is made at night)
* Stay in your stand hours where other hunts are coming and going (i.e. 9AM to 3PM)
* Get a deer cart

chewymalone

My top tips for hunting deer on public land, in order.
* Hunt the weather
* Hunt near cover, not sign ( i.e. scrapes and rubs, most of which is made at night)
* Stay in your stand hours where other hunts are coming and going (i.e. 9AM to 3PM)
* Get a deer cart
Hunting the midday hours is a great suggestion by DeerCamp. You can get in the woods and let the hunters be the dogs for you as they come and go.

Jack12

Much of the public land (WMA's) is only open for quota hunts (and scouting) on specific days/weekends with weapon restrictions, while others may be open in line with the statewide seasons. In most cases, you must also be licensed appropriately (Sportsmans License or WMA Permit). If you haven't already, you need to research the TWRA hunting regulations to be sure you are legal if planning to hunt a WMA. The public land gets hit hard... especially the closer you are to the large metropolitan areas. Consider the middle of the week if you don't want to fight the crowds. That gives a few days for things to settle down from the weekend chaos. Also, there are some areas that are accessible by boat that can lead to more solitude if that's an option for you.

As far as public land etiquette, I would avoid an area like a field on a map if there is a vehicle parked there already and someone is obviously hunting it. Otherwise, public land hunters should expect to bump into other hunters... it's just part of it.

Lastly, I wouldn't pass on a deer that meets your personal harvest goals on public land. Unless you're running cameras (which would certainly be stolen on public land), you don't really know if the buck standing in front of you is king of the local woods or not. Even on private land, there's no guarantee you will see him again.

Last thing, be sure you're having fun. Deer hunting is about the experience and the challenge. Study the woods and find out what about deer hunting drives you to get out there and you will figure the rest out over time. My approach and what I find rewarding has changed several times over the last few decades.
Awesome. Im set on licenses. Thanks for the insight, this is helpful

Dbllunger

Hunting where others aren't is excellent advice on any property but especially public. Just remember that hunting where others aren't doesn't mean go deep on a property. It may but then again it may not. For a lot of people the mentality is that to find new and unhunted I have to go deep. Sometimes this is true but often the spots really close to the parking areas are the best because they never get hunted. Do not overlook these areas.

I have been on a lease the last 13-14 years now and when it first started there were 12 members. I let everyone explore the property and take what they wanted. Then I looked at was left over and scouted. Most of the places I found were near the front. In the "scrub" land no one wanted. They all set up in the big hardwoods. Beautiful views. I set up on the edges of blackberry thickets, thin (30 yards) strips of timber that connected places. Low spots in fields where deer cross. Mostly ugly places. I have stands barely 100 yards from I-40. The deer could not care less about the traffic noise. It's all theyve ever known. One day I set up in a barn with a view of where I and one other parked one day on our lease. Our cars were 10 feet apart and I watched deer walk directly in between those vehicles that day. Deer are where you find them. Usually the thick, nasty, hairy stuff or the stuff no one ever hunts.

Bone Collector

I have no idea where you are moving, but there is land in the Nashville area that you can access. Some do have weapons restrictions, so read the regs for that WMA. There is an interactive map on the TWRA website and you can look at each WMA and get the regs there.

From what you've said, I assume you have never killed a deer. If I were you, I'd shoot anything without spots that walks by. On Public, some people pass bucks, but that is generally because they have private spots and they are going to focus their buck hunting there. If meat is your goal a young buck will eat the same as a doe.

There are deer, and there are hunters. You will probably encounter both. The opening weekend will be the worst for traffic and as the season wears on, it will dissipate. Find thick stuff where the other hunters aren't if you can. Also from your post. I do not know if you have a tree stand. If not, I see you sat in a blind. You do not need a ground blind necessarily, but it may help with movement. If you can sit relatively still you can just sit at the base of a tree. I like move the leaves out so I can shift my feet to get into position without rustling the leaves.

Jack12

I have no idea where you are moving, but there is land in the Nashville area that you can access. Some do have weapons restrictions, so read the regs for that WMA. There is an interactive map on the TWRA website and you can look at each WMA and get the regs there.

From what you've said, I assume you have never killed a deer. If I were you, I'd shoot anything without spots that walks by. On Public, some people pass bucks, but that is generally because they have private spots and they are going to focus their buck hunting there. If meat is your goal a young buck will eat the same as a doe.

There are deer, and there are hunters. You will probably encounter both. The opening weekend will be the worst for traffic and as the season wears on, it will dissipate. Find thick stuff where the other hunters aren't if you can. Also from your post. I do not know if you have a tree stand. If not, I see you sat in a blind. You do not need a ground blind necessarily, but it may help with movement. If you can sit relatively still you can just sit at the base of a tree. I like move the leaves out so I can shift my feet to get into position without rustling the leaves.
Right on. I do have a tree stand, but have considered sitting in thick stuff/base of a tree. Thanks for the advice, this is all helpful!

Latest posts