First rifle?

MusicCityCajun

Thanks for the responses guys.
Looks like I'm between a Winchester XPR sporter and a Bergara B14 in .308
You will not be disasspointed with a Bergara. I did a ton of research and trying out before purchasing last year and it is just an elite gun.
Smoothest action, best feel, and best groups I've seen out of a rifle at that price point.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
If you don't reload then ammo will likely be easiest to find in the order below if current trends hold:
308 win
6.5CM
30-06
270 Win

All of these are effective medium game cartridges, but by no means the only ones. If elk or moose is not going to be in your arena then you could go with 243 Win or 6.5 Grendel for light recoil and sufficient enough knock down for deer. Ammo has been more available for 6.5 G than 243 in the areas that I've seen lately. 7mm-08 or 25-06 are other great rounds, but ammo can be hard to find sometimes

knightrider

Thanks guys.
Gonna go with the Bergara in .308.
Got a few pawn shops in Tazewell/New Tazewell Im gonna peek in first.
Last time i was in liberty that had a bergara b-14 in 308, them or mike's can order you whatever your heart desires lol, i spend way to much money in both, dont fool with the pawn shops in this town they are way to high for worn out junk! Im in Tazewell too

Chiflyguy

Last time i was in liberty that had a bergara b-14 in 308, them or mike's can order you whatever your heart desires lol, i spend way to much money in both, dont fool with the pawn shops in this town they are way to high for worn out junk! Im in Tazewell too
Thanks neighbor.
I'll look at the pawn stores anyway but thanks for the heads up.
Smokey Mountain guns towards Knoxville has me interested.

knightrider

Thanks neighbor.
I'll look at the pawn stores anyway but thanks for the heads up.
Smokey Mountain guns towards Knoxville has me interested.
They have a very good selection of rifles at smoky mtn, i was in there couple weekends ago its a really nice store and the big plus is you no longer have to go to sevier county😂

lafn96

Any of those listed above will work - it doesn't take much to put down a coyote even at several hundred yards. If it were me, I'd also consider what else you might want to do with that rifle. Hunt deer, pigs? Like to target shoot alot, so cheaper ammo is important? Want to shoot long range? Each of those will have some different recommendations; and some that will check the box in several different categories.

Bloodwolf1984

For the money it's hard to beat savage imho...500 bucks can get you a wood stock w bushnell scope magazine fed w accu trigger ...any caliber they come in will take deer...I'm partial to a 270 for long distance and a 308 for closer shots

Rakkin6

Well I would go with my old standby .of .300 Win Mag. Never need to buy another rifle. But if you are hunting coyotes also and worry about ammo my choice would be a .270. It's flat shooting, ammo is in good supply in 130 and 150 grain, light on the shoulder. In my opinion if you are going with a .30 caliber go with a .300 anything an 30-06 can do a .300 can do better. Actually I am looking at either getting a 7mm or 25-06 for my next rifle. Probably go with the 25-06 first then the 7mm

Tn_Va_Hunter

Thanks guys.
Gonna go with the Bergara in .308.
Got a few pawn shops in Tazewell/New Tazewell Im gonna peek in first.
I've got the bergara b14 in 308 I bought from liberty sport and pawn in va. They have a sister store in tazewell also. My store guys are top notch cool dudes. Will order whatever you want or buying off the shelf they have always installed the base and rings. Mounted scope and bore sighted without me even Asking. I actually sold my tikka 30.06 and savage 270 last week and bought a bergara ridge wilderness 6.5 creedmoor from Liberty.

I'm a huge fan of bergaras. I still have one tikka. My wife bought it for me a 7-08 so I'll never sell jf. But I'll be replacing others with bergara as I can.

FYI I'm seeing a boat load of 308. 6.5, 350 legend and some 270 and 06.

But food luck in your search

Chiflyguy

I've got the bergara b14 in 308 I bought from liberty sport and pawn in va. They have a sister store in tazewell also. My store guys are top notch cool dudes. Will order whatever you want or buying off the shelf they have always installed the base and rings. Mounted scope and bore sighted without me even Asking. I actually sold my tikka 30.06 and savage 270 last week and bought a bergara ridge wilderness 6.5 creedmoor from Liberty.

I'm a huge fan of bergaras. I still have one tikka. My wife bought it for me a 7-08 so I'll never sell jf. But I'll be replacing others with bergara as I can.

FYI I'm seeing a boat load of 308. 6.5, 350 legend and some 270 and 06.

But food luck in your search
Ended up going with a Savage Axis II .308

Latest posts