First focal vs second focal plane

Rammer Jammer

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new gun. It will be for plinking out to 500-600 yards..... maybe further on occasion. It will also be used for hunting deer no more than 300 yards. What are y'alls pros and cons of first and second focal plane optics? My thoughts were if I leave the magnification all the way up, it shouldn't matter which one I get. And second focal plane is much cheaper. Probably gonna be a Vortex PST or HST on top of a Bergara HMR or Bergara HMR Pro.

mr.big

unless you are gonna be shooting PRS matches or are gonna be using your reticle as a range finder I would get the SFP,,

if your gonna be using it in high stress situations where you dont have time to think and need to rely on the reticle for holdovers or wind dope I would get the FFP,

infoman jr.

For me, it depends on the magnification range. My personal limit for SFP is 10x max magnification. My thinking is, if it's far enough to have to hold over, I'm going to be on 10x anyway. For something like a 4-16, I'd prefer a FFP.

280longshot

I think the SFP is ideal for hunting using 10x out to 500 yds, quick and easy once you have verified your reticle increments.

280longshot

Rammer Jammer":3deqizah said:
I'm thinking I'm either gonna go 4-16x50 or 6-24x50

My concern would be eye relief at 16 or 24 power, can't see where you would need that much power. Unless you have a top notch scope that extra power is going to be useless anyway.

Rammer Jammer

280longshot":26ay9yhx said:
Rammer Jammer":26ay9yhx said:
I'm thinking I'm either gonna go 4-16x50 or 6-24x50

My concern would be eye relief at 16 or 24 power, can't see where you would need that much power. Unless you have a top notch scope that extra power is going to be useless anyway.

This will be my first time getting into long range shooting and I've never looked thru a 24 power scope. I do have my doubts on a 24 power scope for hunting tho

PillsburyDoughboy

infoman jr.":ep82sfqi said:
For me, it depends on the magnification range. My personal limit for SFP is 10x max magnification. My thinking is, if it's far enough to have to hold over, I'm going to be on 10x anyway. For something like a 4-16, I'd prefer a FFP.

This !

Anything beyond 10x u need two things !

Really good quality glass !

Really steady rest ! Think Bench rest or shooting house set up !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.big

PillsburyDoughboy":349n4fsg said:
infoman jr.":349n4fsg said:

This !

Anything beyond 10x u need two things !

Really good quality glass !

Really steady rest ! Think Bench rest or shooting house set up !

with some practice you can do very well with a good sling and if you can get prone with a bipod you can use all the power that you want,,

lungpuncher1

X2 on needing good glass past 10x. It's crazy how high magnification can make decent glass look horrible.

Im sticking to using under 10x scopes from now on. I don't shoot past 400 targets or hunting. I pick clarity over magnification.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TN Song Dog

FFP, for what it sounds like you are wanting... a tactical target rifle you may occasionally take hunting.

Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 6-24x with Christmas tree reticle would be a good match for the Bergara HMR or similar rifles. If you want to spend more for better glass, get the RzR. Don't overlook the Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes with 30mm main tube. They have all the features you want for a similar price point to the PST Gen 2 (around $1k).
If budget is tight, SFP sometimes cost less.

Next question: MOA or MIL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PillsburyDoughboy

lungpuncher1":3tdbppvm said:
X2 on needing good glass past 10x. It's crazy how high magnification can make decent glass look horrible.

Im sticking to using under 10x scopes from now on. I don't shoot past 400 targets or hunting. I pick clarity over magnification.

THIS and the above post about a sling are spot on!

PillsburyDoughboy

lungpuncher1":2i79qzp5 said:

I have a hard time not being a smart arse everytime I see a post in the forums that starts out I just purchased a VorBushTrashNell 6x18x66 because I need to shoot targets at 3000 yards and need the higher magnification

Then I think to myself .. these people really don't need bashing because they really don't have a clue how to shoot long rang much less what it takes to see targets at long. Range .

Range time and quality glass is what u need to shoot long range . A sub MOA rifle will just get u so far .

10x is more than sufficient for shooting long range . Anything past that a man needs some serious glass and some serious steady shooting platform .

Money saved by buying a good quality 10x scope could be used on more ammo and range time .

Just my humble opinion

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
For your use, a quality 10x-15x SFP scope is what you need. Besides choosing a scope with excellent glass, choose one with repeatable turrets and plenty of erector travel.

Just an FYI - a scope meeting those objectives will not be cheap but will be worth it.

mr.big

my first dedicated long range rifle that wasnt bought to hunt with was a Savage 338L,the first scope I used for that kind of shooting was a 4.5-14x40 LRT/M1 ,,I wound up trashing that rifle but I still use the scope on my 6.5x47L when we are just gonna be banging steel plates or if I am gonna be hunting where I can have a chance at seeing deer in the 5-600 yard ranges..it is plenty clear and bright and has 125 minutes of elevation..I like my 8-32 SIII Sightron a lot better when shooting targets with that rifle but for a dual purpose steel plate/deer hunting scope I dont see how you could get a lot better than that Leupold,,

mine is 40mm lens,,the 50mm is right under 800$$

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/leupold-m ... gKW4fD_BwE

TN Song Dog

Do what works for you. There is nothing wrong with Vortex or Bushnell, and they are popular with people who do some serious shooting. There is also nothing wrong with wanting higher magnification. Sure, try and get the clearest glass you can... that's a given. Check this graph out, and happy shooting.
f038b9c01ed67ce3b5fd79336083d169.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts