First Find! Great week!

Outdoor life

Being outdoors this week has been loads of fun. First thing first I got a phone call earlier telling me that I will be working as a Seasonal Interpretive Ranger for Standing Stone this summer (please pray that everything goes well if you don't mind). So excited, and since then I've been walking the woods looking for turkeys and morels. Today I heard a gobble, but he never came, but I did find a morel (unfortunately this was the only one)

IMG_7199_zps84f0b33f.jpg

Also, I love spring...other things out today

Cancer Root (which is a favorite food of bears)

IMG_7158_zpsa6c5288f.jpg

Shooting Star

IMG_7153_zpsc5c754e0.jpg

and an Eastern Fence Lizard came by today.

IMG_7138_zps1660c349.jpg

Diehard Hunter

Congrats on the seasonal job. I will be at standing stone for the naturalist rally this weekend. I am leading the herp hike on Saturday. Come say hello. You will enjoy working with Shawn, he is a great guy.

Outdoor life

Thank guys! I always have a camera with me, it's taken some time, but I'm getting better with the photography. I take pics of anything wildlife, and I have plenty.

I wish I could find more morels though, maybe after the rain more will pop up.

And Diehard, I can't wait for it to start. I will be there on Saturday, to talk to Shawn at first so I can hopefully to go ahead and get some paperwork out of the way. So after that I may just have to join you on the herp search.

Nimrod777

Supporter
Very cool, and kudos for sharing the ID photos! Cancer root? How'd it get a name like that? Any good for humans to eat?

Shooting star is very cool!

Outdoor life

The Shooting Star is found in rich wooded slopes and limestone bluffs in TN from the Highland Rim eastward. Where there is one, there tends to many. I found this one on the hillside that is a workout to get to, and was surrounded by many many more.
They do resemble the Trout Lily somewhat, but they are actually in a different family. The lily has darker mottles on its leaves and a single flower per stalk....the shooting star has no mottles (so just green) and has many flowers per stalk (as in the pic, but just buds at the moment). Once you see them side by side, it gets easier to tell certain flowers apart.

As for the Cancer Root, it's a parasitic flower that grows under oak trees (I assume that's how it got the name, but not 100% sure). It's also known as Squaw Root, so that indicates that the Native Americans used it as a source of food, but I wouldn't unless I had too.

Sorry for the long read.

Crosshairy

I think they call cancer root "bear corn" as well. It is edible, although I've never tried it. I saw a couple people eat it on a survivalist show one time.

Outdoor life

I was told that it was called "Bear Corn" as well, but of course it's not listed as that in literature. I've never ate it either, but like I said the Native Americans used to eat it, and if you saw others eat it, then one day I may, but I guess I'd rather eat the stuff I know better, like the morels haha.