First Elk hunt!

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Drink plenty of WATER. Even when you don't think you're thirsty,drink. Hydration will help fend off altitude sickness (headaches and nausea). Walking sticks....they will help take the weight of a full pack off of your knees. Have fun, take pictures. When you come home, make notes on what worked and what didn't. You will think of 50 things that you will need for next year.

New gear rocks..........

ghosthunter

I've been practicing out to 50 yards. Think I'm gonna step it up to 60 yards this week, but I don' know if I would shoot at one out that far, though practicing at those ranges makes those closer shots easier.

I'm shoot thunderheads 100's. I haven't changed anything on my bow other than my sight and new release.

STEELMAN

Good advice by all. I think getting in good shape physically is as important as being confident at 50 yds. After hunting hard from dawn to dusk cooking can be a chore. Bring so MREs if you can find some you can tolerate.

AT Hiker

I have a katadyn hiker pro...REI is my favorite place to purchase these types of itmes, mainly due to their excellent customer service. My filter never failed once in 12 days of backpackIng the AT this early summer. Its worth its weight In gold imo, until this year I always used chemicals. It adds weight but I cut the extra weight because I didnt have to carry as much water at one time, 2 quarts was my capacity when I switched to the filter.

AT Hiker

Thats one reason I switched to a filter...it takes me 12 minutes from start to finish to get 64 ounces of water using my filter. That includes taking it out of my pack, pumping, and putting everything back together. Plus I can rehydrate while Im pumping, so it is win win imo...

A steri pen is also a good investment in addition to your filter if you are in a very questionable water situation.

Buzzard Breath

A buddy of mine lives just outside Denver and took these pics yesterday. Should get you fired up for the drive out.

IMG955679.jpg

IMG955883.jpg

Good luck

Buzzard Breath

ghosthunter said:
Thanks buzz! I roll out early Thursday morning.

Did he happen to mention if they were bugling any?

Funny you should ask that. I got a text this morning from him saying that the whole subdivision was woke up last night because a small bull was walking down the sidewalk bugling around 2 am.

DaveB

Saw the thread too late.

My advice-I hunted Rifle to Craig 8 consecutive years. Be prepared for the unreal number of hunters. Leave nothing in your vehicle. Pray the weather doesn't bring in brutal cold.
Elk migrate like mad and will leave an area quick if they are pressured.

I got a nice 5x5 bull and 4 cows.

I bet he comes back as happy as a clam no matter what. It is great fun and highly recommended.

Latest posts