First Elk down!

About a year ago, I decided at some point that I wanted to do an Elk hunt and so I put in for the Arizona draw...I was really just expecting to get a bonus point, but I ended up drawing a tag for late rifle. I just got back a couple days ago and it was AWESOME! It was a hard hunt...lots of glassing, lots of hiking, and lots of Elk! Elk sign was everywhere you looked and eventually on day 4, I got this 5x5 within range. I highly recommend AZ for Elk if that is on your bucket list! This was my first Elk, and while he's not the usual "Arizona monster", he is perfect for me for my first, and average/typical for the unit I was in. Now, I am hooked and plan to go back next year!
IMG_4765.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

Last edited:

AT Hiker

Fantastic!
Ive eyed some of those late season hunts myself but I still shoot for the stars for a early hunt.
Well done and beautiful pictures!

Do you mind sharing if you went with a outfitter? That's always been one draw back for me is that I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to find those late season elk without some local intel.

Fantastic!
Ive eyed some of those late season hunts myself but I still shoot for the stars for a early hunt.
Well done and beautiful pictures!

Do you mind sharing if you went with a outfitter? That's always been one draw back for me is that I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to find those late season elk without some local intel.
I did use an outfitter. For someone out of state, I would consider it essential to both find Elk and also to take care of the meat and trophy after the hunt. I may consider semi-guided next time now that I have a bit of intel on the unit.

LanceS4803

Nice elk!!
(And great photos, too.)

I finally broke down and did a guided hunt for elk last year. Even though I used to live in Utah, and know the area, when investing that many points and time, it was worth it.
For those doing it, check references. I came up with a list of questions for the people I called. Pretty spot on in their descriptions.

19_A_CPT

Fantastic! Congrats! I went to New Mexico last year and loved it. You should plan to come to our next Elk Foundation when we have it next summer at Nashville Gun Club!

Latest posts