First coyote in 6 years hunting, and an old nanner

catman529

I've been hunting 6 years and killing deer and turkeys for 5, got over 40 deer and over 30 turkey under my belt, but u have had the worst luck with coyotes. I've called them in a few times, seen them incidentally, even whiffed a shot or two in past turkey seasons. Never could make it happen.

This evening I just wanted to kill a doe as I have to work the rest of the week and then it's the juvi weekend. Needed some meat to hold me over since I'll be buck hunting soon.

Well here comes something thru the thicket, it's a big coyote, stops at 6 or 7 yards and I drilled the spine and heart.

Another yote comes in on the same trail and sniffs around the dead one, but spooked before I could shoot.

e9f8ae5f461115ff8aa88233b81cc7d2.jpg

A while later I hear a deer coming to my left, cross wind from me. It's a good size 8 point, one I just might shoot. He works his way behind some bushes, then turned and trotted back the way he came with his tail up.

A few minutes after that, I hear twigs cracking from behind those bushes, then stomping, then does blowing.

Figured the hunt was over, but these nosy deer had to stomp and creep around the bushes, only giving me an occasional glimpse.

Drew my bow twice and held it for over a minute both times. Finally one doe appears at about 10 yards giving my coyote a very suspicious look. She's head bobbing and starts eating a little greens but doesn't like the yote lying there.

I was at full draw again for at least half a minute and getting tired. She was quartered to me pretty hard. Being a very close range shot, I knew I could sneak one in front of the shoulder. I squeezed off the arrow and it hit perfect, grazed the spine and went thru lungs, and dropped her to the ground. I wasn't sure of the lungs so I followed up with a heart shot.

9f6d596d7ab5ffe605418a9c666dc148.jpg

Doe looks 5 years old I think. Private land deer

a853226c0d517e7f834ed73f95bac322.jpg

It was an awesome afternoon in the woods. Now I can feel better about not being able to hunt for a full week. :D

Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/Komzv3RDZZA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImThere

Awesome. They didn't like the coyote laying there to much. Glad you got it done.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Dbllunger

Congrats Cat. That was definitely an old doe. Hard creatures to kill for sure as they are generally pretty wary. Great shot on the yote as well. Those opportunities don't come very often. Good job getting it done.

Latest posts