first buck for a 10 year old boy

hunter0925

A lil background first. I was fortunate to meet @hunter0925 a few years back and he put me on does in Rhea and Hamilton counties. I had him up to velvet hunt my 7.59 in Dickson county 2 years ago and he killed the best buck to ever come off it to date. 126 inch hole in the ear buck.

This year opening weekend his son turns 10 (sunday) and he has a doe under his belt but not a buck. I had 2 6 pointers running around the yard and told them to come down and hunt and we will have a b day party for him too.

I have hunted every opening morning for the last 21 years, I have missed my best friends wedding and so forth cause I am hunting. This year I said screw it for once not about me. I wanted to do something for Daniels son Hunter.

EPIC hunts

We got in the shooting house with high hopes this morning as the weather was cooler. Nothing Nothing Nothing.
Well Daniel got his son a new knife and was showing it to me, I went to put in back in the sheath and missed and stabbed my finger. It hurt bad. Well hunter laughed his butt of to the point " i cant breathe" . It really broke the monotony of no action.
For the record that is what a good guide does.

About 830 I looked up 2 bucks. I then hit my elbow and made the loudest noise ever. The big six came in to 19 yards. Perfect and i mean perfect shot. ran 50 yards dropped in sight. It was awesome. A big relief . Just awesome experience,

Then it was party time... for real. @mikebomb1 and my good buddy David came over. Burgers dogs chips and beans.
We ate like kings. Played a lil darts and I whipped them all. Then Cake time. Mike got him a smith and wesson flash light and hooked him up with the gps I got from @Wildcat years ago for free that I gave him so he passed it on.

This boy will be a killer. He wanted to go hunt this eve and bust a doe. My kind of kid. Sure enough at 12 yards he smoked a good one. ran about 40 yards.

Pictures tell the story. Best opening day I have ever had.

buck dressed 116
doe dressed 88

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp16C_wnpOQECJJWHeHxaT6IldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp2fbD_I1dhmfQV_ObSf4tGhV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp3W3iHr08fcNAttpbRzcOYy4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp0kouP599nQvnhy_abGWSOeldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp142KMqx5Ok79xE44vYIj3q4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp2AiHXSyzv-vGFD9J39rR-PldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp1xQGbh5HUhC3R53pASADKP5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp3x1g0uNCIpByun-4IRwS-kV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw
We had an absolute blast. Haven't ever seen a ribeye that thick in my life. Hunter will never forget this weekend. He did want me to remind you about the backhoe though. Lol
About to start working on the euro of ol buckaroo. Thanks again bud. Good to have good friends.

Speedwell-Hunter

A lil background first. I was fortunate to meet @hunter0925 a few years back and he put me on does in Rhea and Hamilton counties. I had him up to velvet hunt my 7.59 in Dickson county 2 years ago and he killed the best buck to ever come off it to date. 126 inch hole in the ear buck.

This year opening weekend his son turns 10 (sunday) and he has a doe under his belt but not a buck. I had 2 6 pointers running around the yard and told them to come down and hunt and we will have a b day party for him too.

I have hunted every opening morning for the last 21 years, I have missed my best friends wedding and so forth cause I am hunting. This year I said screw it for once not about me. I wanted to do something for Daniels son Hunter.

EPIC hunts

We got in the shooting house with high hopes this morning as the weather was cooler. Nothing Nothing Nothing.
Well Daniel got his son a new knife and was showing it to me, I went to put in back in the sheath and missed and stabbed my finger. It hurt bad. Well hunter laughed his butt of to the point " i cant breathe" . It really broke the monotony of no action.
For the record that is what a good guide does.

About 830 I looked up 2 bucks. I then hit my elbow and made the loudest noise ever. The big six came in to 19 yards. Perfect and i mean perfect shot. ran 50 yards dropped in sight. It was awesome. A big relief . Just awesome experience,

Then it was party time... for real. @mikebomb1 and my good buddy David came over. Burgers dogs chips and beans.
We ate like kings. Played a lil darts and I whipped them all. Then Cake time. Mike got him a smith and wesson flash light and hooked him up with the gps I got from @Wildcat years ago for free that I gave him so he passed it on.

This boy will be a killer. He wanted to go hunt this eve and bust a doe. My kind of kid. Sure enough at 12 yards he smoked a good one. ran about 40 yards.

Pictures tell the story. Best opening day I have ever had.

buck dressed 116
doe dressed 88

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp16C_wnpOQECJJWHeHxaT6IldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp2fbD_I1dhmfQV_ObSf4tGhV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp3W3iHr08fcNAttpbRzcOYy4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp0kouP599nQvnhy_abGWSOeldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp142KMqx5Ok79xE44vYIj3q4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp2AiHXSyzv-vGFD9J39rR-PldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp1xQGbh5HUhC3R53pASADKP5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-3E-wJCbrSrwvQE5tba89VVWFffnUXlyOZ3s6A_vnWp3x1g0uNCIpByun-4IRwS-kV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw
GREAT deer , esepcially at 10, unbelieavable. OP, you are an awesome role model. I enjoy estimating B&C (Boone and Crockett) scores for white tail;

• I like to practice so when I am in the field I can estimate on the fly.
  • It is fun to see what folks are shooting and engage.
  • All my scores are based on photos you posted to here, thus it may not be accurate. Normal B&C scores are done with a 1/4-inch wide flexible steel tape to the nearest one-eighth of an inch. I do not go to the 1/8 inch. I do whole inches and go off photos and use things in the photos for approximate references!
  • Also, I do gross score and don't do the whole subtract for atypical stuff.
  • Of note, circumference (mass) is tough to gauge off of photos
Based on your photo, my estimate B&C for your deer is:

78 points.

Due to error, I would add another 5 points or so, final estimated B&C of 80-85 points.

DeerMan66

Congrats to the birthday boy. He will remember this bday and what you did for him forever. I never realized how rewarding it is until I started taking my nephew hunting. It's a much better feeling when a kid you have taken hunting is successful than when you are successful yourself. Thanks for taking that young man hunting.

Latest posts