Fire Ants

backyardtndeer

Thing is Ortho Orthene is a bait driven poison i.e. you need ants to take it in to the queens - not all die at the same time and so its evacuation thru the tunnels to another spot and start over. I found using it gave them time to build another nest with the survivors.

Talstar / Bifen is fast and the liquid version gets into the tunnels so theres nowhere to run nowhere to hide. It has a residual effect also so no ones building another nest in that spot again. The dry version not so much but thats what the pest control people use around the house outside if its gonna rain. So I have both. Having a powerful stream is also a good idea to dig a hole and open up the tunnels to get the solution in there. Or you can use a metal rod and slam it into the nest and pour the stuff in. I don't get spin offs from these nests - they are dead overnight. I have about 5 acres of lawn so broadcasting isn't practical. I bought a powersprayer and load it up then drive around with the ranger and take out each nest when they get big enough. In fact I'm about due now.

I spray with a 3 point sprayer on my little Kubota. Spray heavy around the perimeter of the house foundation with talstar too.

WTM

Supporter
talstar is bifenthrin 7.9%. i get the compare and save at TSC or order it. its usually a lot cheaper.

i also use it around the siffets for wasps, carpenter bees and spray the bushes for mosquitoes. its not only a killer but it also acts as a repellent. i now get the local pest control company to fog attic and soffets, its more effecient and uses less poison.

one thing that will attract fire ants is tall grass and weeds. i used to let the hill side grow up then weed eat twice a year. id kill a couple of mounds and they would come back after the weeds grew back up. now my wife mows the hill and i havent seen any mounds in a year now, except across the street where the county doesnt mow.

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

backyardtndeer

talstar is bifenthrin 7.9%. i get the compare and save at TSC or order it. its usually a lot cheaper.

i also use it around the siffets for wasps, carpenter bees and spray the bushes for mosquitoes. its not only a killer but it also acts as a repellent. i now get the local pest control company to fog attic and soffets, its more effecient and uses less poison.

one thing that will attract fire ants is tall grass and weeds. i used to let the hill side grow up then weed eat twice a year. id kill a couple of mounds and they would come back after the weeds grew back up. now my wife mows the hill and i havent seen any mounds in a year now, except across the street where the county doesnt mow.

I buy it by the gallon from an online store. The difference in the bifen and the talstar brand usually cost less than $5, $65 for a gallon and free shipping. Much more economical than tsc's price of $30 for 32 ozs.

WTM

Supporter
I buy it by the gallon from an online store. The difference in the bifen and the talstar brand usually cost less than $5, $65 for a gallon and free shipping. Much more economical than tsc's price of $30 for 32 ozs.
dang i only paid 14 bucks a bottle when i bought a couple of bottles. i guess it has went up quite a bit. ill compare the other brands when i restock. thanks for the info.

prstide

Water and dawn. Take a gallon jug and fill it almost full with water, add dawn until it’s full, swish around until uniform (should be blue), pour on mound, if it’s a big on use 2 gallons, was your jug out and refill with water, watch for new mound a few feet away from first (just in case you didn’t get the queen), if a new hill starts dose again before they can get to deep. Use this much water, and fill up the rest with dawn.
This in a pump sprayer is my go to wasp killing solution too. Works as fast and much cleaner than the aerosol cans of whatever they sell.

BigAl

Constant battle. I let them have the pasture and just try and keep them out of the yard. For some reasons, seems to be less of them this year.