Finished up 37th

bowhunter163

Novice . It was a fun , but I was nowhere near being ready for it with this new bow . I was in the ballpark , but I wasn't shooting as well with the new bow as I was with the PSE . But I'll get there before Kentucky .

Crow Terminator

Some of them you will shoot one on Sat and one on Sun. It all depends on how many the classes have in them. Pro Novice shoots the same ranges as several other classes...so depending on time limits and such, they sometimes make them shoot both ranges in a day to allow the larger number classes more time on shooting. At the first one I went to in Cullman, AL all the Pro Novice groups had 5 in them...some had 6. It took us a long time to complete the ranges. In Florida we only had 4 to a group. I noticed the scores were way up all across the classes for this shoot. They must have set them pretty short. A lady my wife shot with in Florida won first in women's hunter class in Benning! I think she shot 20 up on the first day...great Scott that's on fire shooting.

TNDeerGuy

Everything is still 280fps, +3% variance (288fps), except for K45, Open B and Open A and one more class I can't remember�they got bumped up to 290fps, +3% variance (299fps). Not changing all the classes resulted in me having to get another bow strictly for target shooting. I just couldn't get slow enough with the setup I wanted to use that put me on equal footing with everyone else.

bowhunter163

Crow Terminator said:
Some of them you will shoot one on Sat and one on Sun. It all depends on how many the classes have in them. Pro Novice shoots the same ranges as several other classes...so depending on time limits and such, they sometimes make them shoot both ranges in a day to allow the larger number classes more time on shooting. At the first one I went to in Cullman, AL all the Pro Novice groups had 5 in them...some had 6. It took us a long time to complete the ranges. In Florida we only had 4 to a group. I noticed the scores were way up all across the classes for this shoot. They must have set them pretty short. A lady my wife shot with in Florida won first in women's hunter class in Benning! I think she shot 20 up on the first day...great Scott that's on fire shooting.
the benning shoot was anything but short in relation to the novice distance limit . There was 1 target under 20 , 3 targets under 24 , the rest were between 24-30 . There were some really good shooters there this weekend . I should have done way better , but I just wasn't ready with this new bow . There were some tough shots on the J range this weekend , I heard more trees being hit than targets on one of those shots . . Also witnessed 2 dry fires . The j range was definitely shorter than The I range but I think it was tougher , shooting through trees and stuff .

TNDeerGuy

bowhunter163 said:
Crow Terminator said:
the benning shoot was anything but short in relation to the novice distance limit . There was 1 target under 20 , 3 targets under 24 , the rest were between 24-30 . There were some really good shooters there this weekend . I should have done way better , but I just wasn't ready with this new bow . There were some tough shots on the J range this weekend , I heard more trees being hit than targets on one of those shots . . Also witnessed 2 dry fires . The j range was definitely shorter than The I range but I think it was tougher , shooting through trees and stuff .

If your noticing a lot of misses, then that is a sign the course is potentailly setup correctly�lower scores will reflect that as well, and there should be a slight score gap between the top winners of the class and everyone else. The average shot for novice should be around 24 yards and you should be having to adjust which pin you use every shot and the shots should be varied like one shot at 18 yards, the next 26 yards, the next 20 yards, next 29 yards, next 17 yards, then 27 yards and so forth... It seperates the true shooters and those able to judge distance and it rewards accordingly. They should never be stacked like 25, 28, 26, 23, 27, etc...

bowhunter163

They were mostly 24-30 . But since it's all known yardage it isn't bad at all . Most of the misses were on 3 differrent targets were you had to shoot through narrow gaps in trees . Anywhere was one target in particular that I get was dangerous . If you moved any at all your stabilizer would hit the tree in front of you . It was so bad everytime someone shot in our group we all turned our heads away from the shooter just in case lol

Latest posts