Finished My AK Build

pcrc

Finished up my first AK build last night, a Bulgarian AK-74 on an 80% Polish Receiver. Did everything myself and I am pretty pleased with how it came out. Was not too bad of a build but being I build hot rods and restore classic cars for a living I had a lot of the necessary skills and tools and with a lot of help from you-tube and the internet I stumbled through it. Just a few mistakes, I mean learning opportunities, that do not affect function. Now just to let the Duracoat fully cure for 5-6 days and it will be off to the range. Am already accumulating parts for the next one.
003-2.jpg
001-5.jpg

cecil30-30

That looks really good,i've been wanting a 74 for a while now.They are extreamly cheap to shoot.even in these days when ammo is hard to find,the 5.45x39 ammo is pretty easy to find at decent prices..

Cuttin

It looks great to me. I am working on a Marlin model 60 and am planning on using Duracoat for the aluminum receiver and have a few questions. What color did you use and how did you prep the metal before painting? Did you take it down to bare metal? Thanks.

pcrc

hunter drew said:
Just wondering how did you go about building one. That looks awesome btw
Just jumped in feet first. Lots of help from Youtube (when you watch some of the people putting these things together on there you gotta figure it cant be that hard), and some very imformative AK dedicated forums. Bought the parts kit and barrel from Atlantic Firearms and already had an 80% reciever on hand. If you have very limited skills I would recommend to Nodak receiver. Honestly the receiver assembly was the hardest part but being I work and form metal for a living it wasn't that hard for me but if you dont have any metalworking skills I would not say to attempt the 80% receiver.

pcrc

Cuttin said:
It looks great to me. I am working on a Marlin model 60 and am planning on using Duracoat for the aluminum receiver and have a few questions. What color did you use and how did you prep the metal before painting? Did you take it down to bare metal? Thanks.
Duracoat color is Matte Black. To prep it I took it to bare metal in a bead blast cabinet. I also did some filler work on the blasted receiver (filled plug welds and some small dents and nicks from rivet crushing) and brushed some heavy coats of the duracoat as a primer/ sealer which I then 220/320 sanded. Then just used wax and grease remover and sprayed with an automotive touch up gun. 2-3 coats of Duracoat filled the 320 scratch no problem. I did a Mauser sporter with Duracoat 2-3 years ago and did it same way and it has held up perfectly.

Latest posts