Finally I caught my first coyote!

Atchman2

While the season was going on, I did manage to catch three raccoons in just a couple weeks of trying. These were basically in my backyard. However, I managed to shoot four raiding coyotes with my .22 LR (headshots), but never caught one in a trap. I was really hoping that I could use my backyard to learn how to trap. The raccoons were pretty cool though.

Fast forward. I heard from a couple of guys that a farmer that went to our church was having a coyote problem. Well that is my wheelhouse of skills since I enjoy hunting them so much. I introduced myself and my wife and I went down to help him with his problem. We did not call any coyotes, but I helped him with the traps he already owned. None of them were set correctly.

So this last weekend was the Coyotes Unlimited calling contest. I went to Blount County first, then down to his farm in Roane County. While I REALLY wanted to hunt to try and win the contest, I only got in two stands until I heard the side by side coming through the woods. I looked in the back and he had put my traps and gear there-he was ready to go trapping. :D

During the week a turkey got caught in one of the traps I set for him the last time. The coyotes tore it to bits and there were feathers everywhere. I went to that trap and worked on it, digging the hole again and setting the trap. I used a mesh screen on it, but the dry dirt we had was like powder. I had some peat moss and I used that as a layer to hold the dirt. The combination worked great! If you didn't know there was a trap there you couldn't find it.

We ended up setting 8 traps I think. He was checking them through the week. One of them was sprung near his dead pile. I figured perhaps the coyote rolled on it as he was using some rancid bait. Another trap the bait was dug up from the hole but the trap was not sprung. I strongly suspect a raccoon, since that what would steal my bait here.

Well today I got a text and we got our first coyote! It had returned to the "turkey trap" and got caught. I was so excited to finally catch one! Thank you all for the help and suggestions I've learned a LOT in the last few weeks. My sets are looking better, and I think I'm setting them in better locations.

Attachments

• coyote2.jpg
    coyote2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,562
  • coyote 3.jpg
    coyote 3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,560

Atchman2

Today i got a package. It was some items to help me set the traps. They extend the trap levers so you can set them easier.

Also he had a conibear trap in his barn. I assume it was for muskrat. It was really rusty but I got it to work today. Going to be fun giving it back to him.

I'm going to order some more traps to help out my neighbor with a groundhog problem. Also some more coyote traps to help my farmer friends. I wish I had started sooner learning to trap.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Atchman2

My new traps arrived today. They are 1.75 instead of 2". Also got some trap setters arms and some new,HawbKer coyote bait to try. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts