FINALLY heard a gobble!

megalomaniac

Been an epic (epic BAD) season so far... Started Feb 18th scouting new to me public putting boots on the ground looking for good habitat, access, and hopefully some birds. Wasn't worried about not hearing gobbles that early, just wanted to find spots to come back and check later in the season and hopefully find some sign.

Usually by opening morning, I have a couple birds located. This year... nothing. Found 2 sets of gobbler tracks in about 20 miles scouting before juvie, thats it. Did find some spots that should hold birds for later.

We had 1 bird that occasionally stumbled through my 1000 acre lease and was caught on camera a week before juvie season, but if he was there, he didn't us know, so juvie hunt was a bust for my daughter.

Spent the last 6 days since opener covering another 30 miles on foot hunting on public and private in Starkville and found 1 more set of tracks that are equivocal whether they were a gobbler or a jake. Called up 1 lone hen, a group of 4 hens, and talked with another hen, but no gobbles. Actually saw a black bear on Desoto, which was a first for me turkey hunting. I crested a rise and there he was at 15 yards. We saw one another at the same time, and both of us spun as fast as we could and backed off.

Took yesterday off to work all day, but this morning I didn't have to start till 8am, so I figured I'd listen and maybe get a pin on a bird for later this week at my lease close to the house and work. Headed to a spot that I found a track 2.5 weeks ago and parked the truck and walked down an old logging road on a narrow ridge with an open hardwood drain to the north down a steep drop off, and planted overgrown pines to the south with a more gentle slope. Got about 300y from the truck to listen and sat down at 615. Not expecting anything, I nearly went into shock when a bird gobbled 125y away at 645. Well.... looks like this may actually turn into my first hunt!!!

I had actually walked past the bird in the dark, he was roosted just off the steep ridge to the North, about 50 yards off the logging road. I didn't think he saw me walk by, but I was worried he saw my truck when I parked. I figured right where I was at was as good as anywhere to call him to, so backed off the logging road a few yards, yet could still shoot about 30y both directions down the logging road I had walked in on. He gobbled a 2nd time about 10 minutes later, and I gave a few soft bubble clucks and tree yelps. Nothing in response. No hen talk, so I became a little more optomistic. I knew I didn't have long this morning, so I decided to play it safe and not push the issue and hope he would hang around until Thursday when I have off all day after 8am. A couple more soft bubble clucks and I heard him fly down, saw a bit of it as well, and thought he landed on the road I walked in on about 100y away. I shifted around the tree a few more degrees to shoot the road, and he gobbled on his own 75 yards away. Gun was in position, and I waited. Nothing for 20 minutes. Then a hawk flew through the timber and he double gobbled to it's wings flapping, but in the exact same spot 75y away. I made a soft 3 note yelp, then texted the office I might be late, will keep them posted. About 15 minutes later I heard him cluck once 20 yards away, but off the logging road and over the steep drop off. Shifted on the tree 45 degrees to shoot that way, but crap, if he pops up there onto the ridge, he is going to be 10 yards away from me... I couldn't hear him walking, couldn't hear him drumming, so I just waited. I scratched the leaves... nothing. Checked farther down the logging road where I hadn't walked... nothing. After 15 minutes he gobbled on his own back at the spot he landed 100y away after flydown.. Shifted back again on the tree, and I gave a couple timid cutts and 4 note yelp. Nothing. 20 more minutes go by and he free gobbles 125 yards in the planted pines 90 deg to my left. Game over, he's headed away, I'm thinking he is following a hen elsewhere. I spin on the tree once again and yelp with a tad of desperation back to him... nothing in response. At this point, I'm absolutely devastated I had a bird at 20 yards away, but just over the lip of the drop off and I still couldn't get him. Starting to second guess everything I did... like maybe I should have peeked over the rise to force the shot, or maybe called enough to get him fired up enough for him to answer me (he NEVER gobbled back to me the entire time). But I was hopeful I would get another chance later this week.... Before I left, I just wanted to hear one more gobble going farther away to confirm the hunt was over.... but not a peep. I put my gun down, pulled up maps on my phone to try to figure out where he was headed, and was generally cursing myself. After a few minutes on the phone, I look up and there he is down the logging road 180 degrees opposite of where he started out this morning. Going in and out of half strut, he's at 30 yards on the road and looking hard... but I'm buried deep in good cover and he doesn't see me. He passes behind a pine tree and I raise my gun, shift 45 degrees on the tree, and when he pops out I confirm he is a longbeard and hammer down. Time of death 0806. Cagey dude gobbled 6 or 7 times the whole morning, but never at me. I actually was expecting him to be an OLD bird, but was just a 2yo with 8in beard and half in spurs. Gotta be one of the smartest 2y/o's I've ever killed. Said a quick thank you prayer, snapped a couple pics, then headed to work late :)

sure hope #2 doesn't take another 50 miles of boot tracks before I find him :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230321_114504_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230321_114504_Gallery.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_20230321_114456_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230321_114456_Gallery.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 121

Spurhunter

Actually saw a black bear on Desoto, which was a first for me turkey hunting. I crested a rise and there he was at 15 yards. We saw one another at the same time, and both of us spun as fast as we could and backed off.
When Ole Miss went woke and changed their name from Rebels to Black Bears I didn't think there was a black bear in the state of MS. Apparently I was wrong. I do NOT want to hunt where there are bears in the woods!

megalomaniac

Thanks all, pretty dang happy with this one!
Congrats!! I hate to hear how far the population seems to have dropped in your area. This one was well earned indeed.
In reality, I think the population is UP compared to past 10 years... nowhere near the number of birds prior to 2005, but we've had 2 good hatches in a row in SE MS. The problem is birds are isolated in pockets and not evenly distributed on the landscape. I suspect 90% of the birds are in 0.1% of the landscape, 5% of the birds are on 9.9% of the landscape, and the last 5% of birds are splattered around randomly on the remaining 90%. Some noobie hunter was bragging to me about hearing 2 birds this weekend on a semi-local WMA... even dumb enough to say which road they were on. Guarantee I will be there tomorrow checking it out and putting boots on the ground hoping he stumbled into one of those pockets of birds :)

We've had this local lease just outside town for 5 years.... This was the first turkey ever killed on it. Habitat isn't great for nesting, but it isn't unusual to have several birds on it during the fall/ winter (as the deer hunters are running their corn feeders). In fact, this year, we had 9 different toms on the 1000 ac property during Dec/ Jan. Unfortunately they all left with all the hens beginning of Feb (?headed to other properties with active feeders?... prob not, prob just hens looking for better nesting/ brood rearing habitat and the toms follow off). I'm hoping we have one of those toms transition back onto the property before season ends as the hens start setting.

Southern Sportsman

Some noobie hunter was bragging to me about hearing 2 birds this weekend on a semi-local WMA... even dumb enough to say which road they were on. Guarantee I will be there tomorrow checking it out and putting boots on the ground hoping he stumbled into one of those pockets of birds :)
How did this hot tip turn out?

megalomaniac

How did this hot tip turn out?
Just got home. Never been there before, got to the WMA at 0830 after work. 3 trucks still there from the morn, I moved down a mile and a half and hiked to the creek. Immediately after setting up a had a royally pissed off hen come right to me raising hell, cutting, 10 note yelping and just generally going bezerk. Can't believe there wasn't a gobble to all that racket. I have a sneaky suspicion her boyfriend is dead already. Hit some more spots I picked out but didn't hear another bird. Came back to the original spot early afternoon (all the other trucks were gone) hoping a tom had moved in or one would be vocal, but nothing. Cut 3 sets of hen tracks in about 6 miles hiking. Did not cut a single set of gobbler tracks.

My first time there, seems pretty nice, but I have some prettier woods 30 min away (this place is 1h 15min away). Did get to spend a little bit of time on a sugar white sandy beach (sandbar actually 😀). Wish I had a margarita with me!

Latest posts