Finally Got to See a Buck Act Like a Buck

Mike Belt

Had a 5.5 year old buck standing almost under my stand all bristled up and ears laid back but I didn't see anything else. I couldn't figure why he was just standing there like that when a 3.5 year old stepped out from behind a tree. The older buck followed him around and I still couldn't figure out why until I saw the doe browsing behind them. Every move the younger buck made the older buck countered by keeping himself between him and the doe. Both right at 120" but the older buck was a hoss. The younger buck didn't even look at the doe. I think if he had the older was ready to rumble. Neat to watch.

TheLBLman

I'll GLADLY swap seeing a bunch of does every day for seeing THAT once a year! :p

Very neat to see bucks act like bucks, really get to watch them, and choose not to shoot them or to shoot them. I'll bet you're "satisfied" just knowing you COULD have taken that old buck, and didn't have to prove it to anyone else? Of course, I know you had ulterior motives, i.e. a chance at a much larger one by passing up that one!

Mike Belt

I know a 5.5 year old buck is a trophy in his own right but I want a little more antler to go along with his age. They showed up early and the first time hunting this spot I thought I might have another opportunity. That didn't materialize. I shifted to the backside of a cutover on the other side of the timber from where I was this morning. Eat up with sign but this late in the season it may not pan out. Bet I take another look earlier next year.

Shed Hunter

Wes Parrish":ykrlmq1o said:
I'll GLADLY swap seeing a bunch of does every day for seeing THAT once a year! :p

Very neat to see bucks act like bucks, really get to watch them, and choose not to shoot them or to shoot them. I'll bet you're "satisfied" just knowing you COULD have taken that old buck, and didn't have to prove it to anyone else? Of course, I know you had ulterior motives, i.e. a chance at a much larger one by passing up that one!

I like this post. My "style" of hunting is centered directly around what you just said. I often contemplate why people shoot bucks just because they are mature or pursue killing an animal simply because it is more of a challenge. If I kill a deer, it is for meat or because he has a set of antlers I desire to have-not to boost my confidence/ego

Also the less I shoot, the more I enjoy hunting. I like watching them-whether it be just for a little bit or over several years. Most of my more memorable wildlife encounters involved no shooting

Glad you had a good hunt Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I bought a video camera just for hunting but haven't carried it in a while. I did video with my phone yesterday but you can't tell much.

redhunterZ71

I took probably 7or 8 videos of bucks this year with my cell phone and would go back to camp and share with my buddies. Pretty fun just to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUP

Come on now Mike, tell it to us straight buddy. You had your video cam, but left the rifle in the truck didn't ya? ;) Glad you're seeing some bucks, b/c I'm not seeing squat. Even last eve, went out and got soaked, and didn't see a squirrel even.

fairchaser

Mike Belt":emroi1ob said:
Had a 5.5 year old buck standing almost under my stand all bristled up and ears laid back but I didn't see anything else. I couldn't figure why he was just standing there like that when a 3.5 year old stepped out from behind a tree. The older buck followed him around and I still couldn't figure out why until I saw the doe browsing behind them. Every move the younger buck made the older buck countered by keeping himself between him and the doe. Both right at 120" but the older buck was a hoss. The younger buck didn't even look at the doe. I think if he had the older was ready to rumble. Neat to watch.

Mike:

What was your confidence level on the age of that buck? Would you have shot him and taken your chances at the check station with the age? There seems to be so much variation on the bucks regarding body confirmation and size that it is almost impossible to age one unless you have multiple years of pictures or sightings. The way they act is almost the best indicator of age and based on your description, he had at least a year on the other buck.

Mike Belt

I'm 99% sure this buck was 5.5. He had the size, dimensions, mass on his rack. I've been fooled before though. I have killed a buck up there that I was surprised when he scored but I shot him based on age. I usually don't shoot unless he has the antlers as well.

Latest posts