Finally Got My First

jlmustain

Left the office at lunch and headed to a WMA. I had no luck at all this morning, but as I was heading to the office, the sun started shining. I've never killed a turkey, but I study the heck out of anything I do, and from what I could tell, turkeys like sunshine. I couldn't get that off my brain, so when the lines started filling up in fast food drive-thrus, I headed to public land and decided to be as quiet, soft, and patient as I could.

I chose not to locate, but instead chose to listen, and within ten minutes of walking away from the truck, I heard a gobbler. I moved in, set up, and listened. Nothing. Sat there for 30 mins, but nothing. I moved closer, and he gobbled again. This time it sounded like he was moving away from me (and he was already pretty far off to begin with), so I didn't set up. I kept moving slowly until I got near the top of a ridge. I knew I had to be back at the office by 1:00, so I set up and told myself I wasn't going to move again until leaving time. Not long after that I heard the last gobble - still way off.

I threw the diaphragm in, then grabbed the pot to purr a little. Nothing. Purred more. Nothing. Soft yelping. Nothing. I wanted to move, but I'd told myself I wasn't going to. Something just felt right. I know it sounds goofy, but it was like I could imagine that he was coming even though he wasn't calling back.

I heard some rustling to the south, and there they were. I thought it was one, but it was two. They'd come in stealthily, and I instead of being all worked up like I thought I'd be, I was calmly proud that my first bird was going to be a basically-silent public land bird. I lined my bead up, and the rest is history.

I listened to y'all. I read all I could. I went to seminars and such at the convention, and watched all the turkey hunting I could. I know he's a jake (dull, 3/4" spurs), and I know his beard isn't very long 6-7", but I'm proud either way.

First bird: down

EAFA25C0-ABE3-440F-84F4-06C055BE3CF8-11465-00000504A80F3F12_zps3766e731.jpg

Atchman2

Outstanding write up! Good going man! It took me a LONG time to ever get my first and hopefully you'll keep on rolling and limit out.

jlmustain

Ha! Thanks, y'all! And yes, I made it back to the office. It was amazing! Totally different feeling than a deer. I'll be back out in the morning. I was bummed about the one per day limit because the other one really didn't go anywhere, and I forgot to add that there were others behind them that I ended up bumping when I went to take a look at the one I shot. I'll be back out there tomorrow morning!

jlmustain

And here's the after picture. We got on that gobbler for supper tonight! Of course, I got a few stares when after the prayer I said, "you know, y'all, this lil' thunder chicken ate breakfast this morning!" Ha!

984B2495-5354-438E-85E8-AC71CD5ADF14-12094-000005432C8B61FE_zpsc24a2a0e.jpg

Latest posts