Finally broke down and got one

rtaylor

My kids were wanting to bow hunt so I finally broke down and ordered a crossbow. Never shot one before so we are all going to be learning together. I was wondering about broadheads. I've got several Magnus buzzcuts that I shoot with my compound. Will these work in a crossbow?

Rakkin6

rtaylor":16hqnzpu said:
My kids were wanting to bow hunt so I finally broke down and ordered a crossbow. Never shot one before so we are all going to be learning together. I was wondering about broadheads. I've got several Magnus buzzcuts that I shoot with my compound. Will these work in a crossbow?
I know some guys shoot mechanical and some shoot fixed blade. You need to check your magnus though. There can be a size difference in a crossbow broadhead and a compound bow broadhead. This is due the rail and stirrup. I shoot mechanicals out of mine.

What kind of crossbow did you get and what is the speed on it. Crossbows shoot a lot faster then a compound and this is another reason the broadheads are different.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

rtaylor

It's an Excalibur micro 340 and supposedly shoots 340 fps. I have 2 inch Rages and the Magnus Buzzcuts but thought with the increased speed over my compound the rage might open in flight???

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
My xbow shoots at 340fps as well. The past 2 years I used NAP spitfires. This spring I decided to change to a fixed blade to reduce possible deployment failure or such. I've been practicing shooting with the Magnus Stinger without any issue. I did have one broadhead of the pack of 3 that flew off track. After looking at it the screw that holds the blade on the ferule became loose. Centered blade back up, tighten screw and did a spin test on it. Flew just as true as the other 2. Pleased with the Stinger and looking forward to putting it to a true test.
I have also found it is easier to get the fixed blades hair popping sharp also.

Rakkin6

I know a lot of guys love the rages, you just need they are specifically for crossbow. I am shooting a Tenpoint Stealth NXT with a 445 grain bolt at between 385 and 390. Speed ring is set for 385. I am using the Grim Reapers crossbow broadheads. The food thing about these is they are are a rearward deploying blade and even though Grim Reaper says that you don't need them I put a 1/4 medium dental band on them. This is my first year using them but after shooting them they fly field point accurate and no issues with the band. First pic is the broadhead and the second is with the dental band. I know a lot of the fixed blade guys love the Ramcats Crossbow Hydroshocks also.
5eeb497c62c16f34bb82691e2539d7bb.jpg
3ed930335e0788f284377d1b82a5295e.jpg

losthunter

Save yourself some cash and buy the 3 pack of allen fixed blade at Walmart for 7 bucks. At the speed a crossbow shoots, complete pass through on every deer I kill with mine. Accurate, just like the field tips. Remember our fore fathers hunted with carved rocks.

Rakkin6

losthunter":27rd37ah said:
Save yourself some cash and buy the 3 pack of allen fixed blade at Walmart for 7 bucks. At the speed a crossbow shoots, complete pass through on every deer I kill with mine. Accurate, just like the field tips. Remember our fore fathers hunted with carved rocks.
Don't necessarily agree with you there brother.

Rakkin6

For anyone that uses a Slug gun to deer hunt with you know you have to try different slugs for your gun. Two guys could have the exact same gun but they like completely separate ammo. Can get a little expensive, I don't think crossbows are quite has bad but close.

Forvols

Thats a nice xbow for your jump into crossbows. I have an Excalibur 355 matrix. I shoot slick trick broadheads 100grn and 125grn. Never had an issue with either one, big cut and always pass through. I have not tried mechanicals. I like keeping it simple like the Excalibur crossbow line. Fixed blade for me.

Latest posts