Field-Judging Buck Age Example THREE

TheLBLman

What would you guess the age to be of this buck?

1-1.jpg

TheLBLman

2009MP08-283-28.jpg

2009MP08-283-28cu2.jpg

2009MP08-284-10.jpg

2009MP08-284-10cu.jpg

This was one of the most unique large-antlered young bucks I've ever photographed. Like most young bucks with relatively large antlers, there is little chance of their surviving to the age of 3 1/2 or older. Basically, about all the bucks I see reaching maturity are those genetically inclined to grow smaller than average antlers, i.e. they are repeatedly passed up, even at 4 1/2 and older, due to their smaller antlers.

While bucks like this one usually get knocked off at 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 ---- long before they even approach their potential, at least regarding the size of their antlers. No doubt, this one had the potential to be one unique monster buck. He was shot on the opening day of muzzleloader. No big story to tell, other than I wish he had survived another year. That said, I can't begrude the shooter, as few hunters would have passed this one up.

But at the same time, here is the answer to why we don't see more exceptionally large (B&C size) bucks in Tennessee: They are born here, but most will get killed at a relatively young age, before they can grow those giant antlers. Yes, we are harvesting more 4 1/2's and older, too, but they tend to be those with smaller antlers, i.e. the larger-antlered bucks are killed at younger ages. This issue is called antler "high-grading". I don't know the solution, and have personally been about as much a problem to it as the next guy, although am trying to learn better to base my harvest decisions more on age than on antlers.

2009MP09-1601-32ACU.jpg

Pretty nice "yearling", eh? :)
I've not gotten to see the jaw bone yet, but I believe this buck may have been only 2 1/2 years old. Very possible he was 3 1/2, but "mature" he was not.