Food Plots Fertilizer Cost

tellico4x4

I haven't done any checking since spring but when I was picking up pelletized lime at Lowe's the other day, sales person said that their 13-13-13 was $22.00 a bag. I'm wondering if using 34-0-0 might not be a alternative? Thinking about not applying fert at planting time, but waiting until a couple inches of growth then spreading the nitrogen at 50# acre. Know it does wonders on my bermuda lawn but never tried it on plots. Thoughts?

Last edited:

BSK

Nitrogen is going to help cereal grains the most (i.e. wheat, rye, oats, etc.). And yes, you can spread it on a plot after germination and it will give cereal grains a boost.

JCDEERMAN

I guess it just depends on what your planting. Yeah nitrogen is key for cereal grains - most of our soil tests showed we needed more nitrogen when planting cereal grains (60-180 lbs/acre). I think we are all in this year and going 100-80-80 to fulfill all our fertilizer needs. Co-op gave us a quote of $6700 after taxes using their buggy. We'll be eating pb&j sandwiches for the rest of the year.

megalomaniac

I haven't done any checking since spring but when I was picking up pelletized lime at Lowe's the other day, sales person said that their 13-13-13 was $22.00 a bag. I'm wondering if using 34-0-0 might not be a alternative? Thinking about not applying fert at planting time, but waiting until a couple inches of growth then spreading the nitrogen at 50# acre. Know it does wonders on my bermuda lawn but never tried it on plots. Thoughts?
I'm delaying fertilizer application until after I'm 100% sure I get a good stand from initial planting. Stuff is too expensive this year to put down twice, and nitrogen evaporates pretty quickly.

As far as skipping the p and k... all depends on how deficient your soil is.

Be careful with straight urea/ nitrogen on your clover plots... but I'm sure you already know that

Latest posts