Feeding Animals

Rakkin6

Not exactly where to post this so going to try it here. Me and my wife are switching are dogs over to an all natural raw diet from deer and turkey I take. Has anyone here done that and if so negatives or positives. I live in Montgomery County and hunt Fort Campbell so not to worried about CWD but still have to be careful. Thank you guys/gals for any advice you may have.

catman529

I haven't seen a dog that didn't love deer meat. I would be selfish with the turkey though. They're a lot smaller and we don't get to shoot as many.

Rakkin6

Not just for my dogs, me and the wife will also eat the deer and turkey. But if it is healthier for my animals and I am already shooting them just wondering the opinion. We spend a lot of money on dog food just because we year them like our kids since we don't have any.

gatodoc

Not just for my dogs, me and the wife will also eat the deer and turkey. But if it is healthier for my animals and I am already shooting them just wondering the opinion. We spend a lot of money on dog food just because we year them like our kids since we don't have any.
An "all meat" diet isn't healthy for dogs and the change in diet may very well upset the gi tract....

Boone25/06

I have a blood tracking dog that I feed around 50% deer meat. Only problem you might run into is the lack of fat in it. During the winter I supplement with a high energy dog food. It was what he was raised on as part of his training. Healthy and happy. As far as not killing to feed an animal goes, I'm a farmer most of my livelihood comes from people who would rather not raise it or kill it but will still buy it. They can buy all the dog food they want animals still die to make it. Dog food is scrap meat and byproduct of slaughtering animals same as you killing a deer processing it and eating prime cuts and feed scrap or lower cut to dog. Answer to question yes great healthy food but add fat when they burn more fat to stay warm or active.

Rakkin6

I have a blood tracking dog that I feed around 50% deer meat. Only problem you might run into is the lack of fat in it. During the winter I supplement with a high energy dog food. It was what he was raised on as part of his training. Healthy and happy. As far as not killing to feed an animal goes, I'm a farmer most of my livelihood comes from people who would rather not raise it or kill it but will still buy it. They can buy all the dog food they want animals still die to make it. Dog food is scrap meat and byproduct of slaughtering animals same as you killing a deer processing it and eating prime cuts and feed scrap or lower cut to dog. Answer to question yes great healthy food but add fat when they burn more fat to stay warm or active.
Makes sense to me thanks for the advice

Latest posts