Federal Turkey Thug Ammo?

Boll Weevil

I'm about drive myself nuts trying to find these in a 3-1/2" load of 2oz #6s. I don't know of they are just that new on the scene and stores aren't carying them yet, or if folks are buying them up as soon they hit the shelves. Remember the old maroon shell with gold letters and TALLbrass from say, 12-15 years ago (2oz in a 3" and 2-1/4oz in the big shell)? Word on the street is that these are reminiscent of the old ones before the Heavyweight shell with a flite control wad (only better).

For being straight lead, folks are reporting stoopid patterns out of many different gun/choke combos. The 3" are a little over a $1 a shell...the 3-1/2" are like $1.25ish (in boxes of 10). If I can find'em and they pattern well...I swear...I'll buy 2 cases and get off this turkey ammo rollercoaster.

Anyone seen/tried these yet?

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I don't even shoot lead and I bought a couple of boxes of the 3 1/2 6s yesterday. The pattern pics I have seen have been great so I figured I might as well get some in case I ever run out of hevi 13s, which will probably never happen.

Southern Sportsman

Ive bought everything i need to load my own shells. Im tired of deaking with the never ending changes and hard to find shells, so now i wont have to worry about it hopefully. At least for my long range barrel. But i have also heard great things about the thug ammo. Im going to try to find some 3" 6s to shoot through my bottom barrel.

Grizzly Johnson

Well some folks are finding issues with boxes of that ammo.... wet/oily powder .... primer pops and pellets rolling out the end of the barrel.... powder mess in the chamber and action.... Thread was posted on Old Gobbler about it by the person it happened to.

Buyer be aware....

Grizzly Johnson

Could be a leaky warehouse roof and the pallet of shells got a little wet.... May just have been an isolated incident.... Just giving you a heads up... I thought about trying some myself.... but I got the Winchester and Hevi shells instead.

booth

I believe Wal mart is the only place to get the turkey thugs. I checked one last night and they had a pathetic selection of ammo.

Southern Sportsman

Boll Weevil said:
SS: You got your hands on an OU? What'd you find? Chokes too?

I got a Fausti "Waterfowl II" 3.5 inch. I like it a lot but honestly haven't shot it yet. It is really well put together, greener crossbolt locking mechanism, and nice engraving. Retail is about the same as the Fabarm but i think i got a really good deal. Im planning to shoot TSS loads out of the top barrel, which generally needs a more open choke. I got a Carlsons .680. The gun uses american arms style chokes which arent too hard to find. Ill report back on how it shoots this weekend

Boll Weevil

Cool; glad you were able to find one. I'm gonna guess the TSS loads will be incredible and can't wait to hear your results.

Rockhound

Our Walmart has tons of boxes on the shelf i picked up 2 boxes of 3" #6 and they pattern awesome, my buddy picked up a few boxes of 3-1/2 #5 and they are awesome, but ill probably never shoot them ive got about 100 htl 3" shells and i don't even hunt with a 12 lol

pledbetter

I bought a box of 5s the other day and my 870 super mag and kicks combo doesnt like them
2013-03-17173615_zpsf7f0df3b.jpg

Shot was 40 yards

knightrider

CAMARO12 said:
knightrider said:
just put up 286 in the 20in circle at 40 yards with this ammo in 3in #6 17/8 shot this stuff is smoking for lead
Thru what gun with what length barrel and what brand and size choke??
that was with a mossy 500 12 with a 26in polished barell with a 643 ssx choke, im sorry guys just went back and looked at pattern and it was 268 not 286 sorry bought that, gonna shoot them through the jelly head and see how they do with it this week these things are great for a buck a shell :grin:

Atchman2

Walmart in Jefferson City, TN had a ton of them. I bought some 5's to use in my Turkey Thug shotgun. They do chatter the old teeth when you shoot them though! I've never felt a harder recoil.

Brad C.

ruger7mag said:
I don't even shoot lead and I bought a couple of boxes of the 3 1/2 6s yesterday. The pattern pics I have seen have been great so I figured I might as well get some in case I ever run out of hevi 13s, which will probably never happen.

Me too.

I think this may just be the best shooting lead loads ever made if the reports that I have seen are in fact correct.