Favorite time/place to camp?

gtk

Staff member
Grand Canyon in the spring (cool enough to enjoy hiking)
Glacier/YellowStone/Grand Tetons in summer (excellent trout fishing)

Estes Park in mid-sept, simply to see the elk rutting like crazy. However, anywhere Mid to North Colorado in mid-late September, these aspen trees are unbelievably beautiful

Wobblyshot1

Topsail State Park in Florida and Friendship, Indiana home of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.

Attachments

• 20201019_182354.jpg
    20201019_182354.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210610_150212.jpg
    20210610_150212.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 77

Swampster

Only camping I've done is on the Appalachian Trail during May - August. The weather has been comfortable, and the people have been nice. I think early Fall is nice also. On the flip side, before May, in the South, I think it would be miserable as the trail would be crawling with people. Seeing six or eight people a day or sharing a campsite with four other tents is fine with me, but twenty (or a hundred) would spoil it for me. Of course, there are plenty of spots where you can camp by your lonesome as well.

tellico4x4

Mountains of East TN especially during hunting season. Although I enjoy company some of my most memorable trips have been alone. Outside of Tennesse my favorite place was Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota but it's been awhile since I've been.

PICT0100-1.jpg

PICT3339.jpg

Backpack in and you can sometimes find some real game:

hog2-1.jpg
Boundary Waters & Quatico are awesome. Spent 12 days in there way back in 1983.

Carlos

My favorite time of the year is October. Favorite place would be hard to pick. I like Indian Boundary Lake, Fall Creek Falls, Roan Mountain State Park, Rock Creek Campground near Erwin, Piney at LBL, and many others. My wife and I camp a lot. There is also Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina, and Fort Desota Park near Tampa, Florida.
RIP Gramps!

41Magnum

With the wife in fall at one of several campgrounds, Townsend KOA, Big Meadow in Townsend, Couple over near Waynesville, N.C. and around Asheville, N.C., a couple places around Pigeon Forge, TN. When I'm hunting up on the Mountain ( tent camping) I have several places to make camp, but there's one in particular that's a favorite. I'm fixing to go up there and cut some fire wood and do some house keeping. Good water supply and drains well, just a great place to camp and reminisce about past hunting trips with a few family members and close friends but it's dwindled down to me and a good friend and occasionally my Son will come over from Asheville when he can.

hoghunter65

We used to love to camp at Cumberland Springs Wma, they used to have an early gun hunt the end of October, hunted it for 22 years before TWRA lost the lease on it.

Black Titan

I like camping when it's cool enough at night to need a nice fire to keep warm, and nice enough during the day to still be in a t-shirt. I don't like roasting in a tent overnight as I sleep hot to begin with.

I always enjoyed camping the different islands on Norris Lake. Beach the boat, set up camp and have some lunch, go out and fish all day, come back for a nice dinner and to cook the catch, go back out for some night fishing, back to camp to sleep, wake at sunrise to an awesome campfire breakfast and coffee from a percolator pot, then go out and fish all day again.

BT

hoghunter65

Camped and hunted Cumberland Springs for 22 years before TWRA lost it, now that I'm older, I camp in a motel room, hot shower, TV, Hardee's biscuits.

Omega

I like camping next to or around the area I plan on fishing or hunting in. I have never went camping for the camping, it's always been just a part of the hunting or fishing. Cold, hot, wet, dry, it didn't matter, it was just a part of the experience. Kind of like the military, setting up a hooch was just part of the larger operation. Now, I haul a trailer or use a truck tent, and always setup so I can bug out quickly, and defend myself from 2 or 4 legged critters before they get the drop on me.

Black Titan

I like camping next to or around the area I plan on fishing or hunting in. I have never went camping for the camping, it's always been just a part of the hunting or fishing. Cold, hot, wet, dry, it didn't matter, it was just a part of the experience. Kind of like the military, setting up a hooch was just part of the larger operation. Now, I haul a trailer or use a truck tent, and always setup so I can bug out quickly, and defend myself from 2 or 4 legged critters before they get the drop on me.

I've been kind of interested in truck tents. My truck is a full size but has a short bed since it's a crew cab. Any recommendations on what to look for or any good brands?

BT