Favorite NECK recipes

cousinjordo

Been hunting my whole life, come from a hunting family, and my great grandmother is the only one who ever wanted the neck. I don't have any reason really, but I've just never used the neck.

I decided to take it from the buck I killed Sunday and give it a shot. I cut the neck strap roasts away from the spine (not in CWD zone, but just to be safe) so keep that in mind. Please share your favorite uses and prep methods for the neck roast. Can't wait to try it out!

Omega

I hate trimming the neck, that is why as of a few years ago, that has become my go-to shot. But my mom loves it as well, along with her friends. I guess if it's cooked low and slow, like a roast, it may turn out well, at least make getting the meat off the bone easier. But now with CWD, and other illnesses I don't mess with the spinal cord at all, and usually debone everything, which brings me back to the neck shot.

Trapper John

Don't spend too much time cleaning it up. Just cut away any big chunks of fat on it. Leave all the silverskin and connective tissue in there and cook it low and slow. All that stuff will break down and make it awesome. The neck and shanks are the only two pieces of venison I'll cook in a crock pot. They come out excellent.

With the neck I typically flour it and give it a good sear in some olive oil before throwing it in the slowcooker with beef (Or venison) stock, carrots, mushrooms, and some onion. Season it as you like and cook until all that stuff in the neck breaks down. Thicken the gravy and serve over mashed potatoes or rice.

BamaProud

The neck is one of my favorite parts. All the connective tissue in the neck/spine makes a fantastic stew.

Take a frozen untrimmed neck (but remove the wind-pipe). Cut it in thin cross sections using a hack saw with a new sanitized blade. If you have access to a butchers bandsaw that would be ideal. Flour and brown the neck slices, then just follow your favorite beef stew recipe(potatoes, carrots, onion, parsnip, thyme etc... ) Cover with beef broth in a crock pot or dutch oven. Low and slow, you can't over cook it, just add more broth as needed.

brassmagnet

Brown some onions in oil in a Dutch oven remove, brown some unpeeled carrots, remove, brown some cubed potatoes remove, add oil if needed, I use beef fat, brown the neck on all sides. Deglaze with a decent red wine and a whisk, add enough stock to cover and the vegs. Into the oven at 275 for an hour a pound, if it isn't falling apart let it run until it is. Enjoy with a good crusty bread and the rest of the red. Keeps getting better till it's gone, red wine is health food.

WTM

i debone the neck now, since CWD is around. after i cut out the windpipe i start on that side and debone. it ends up as a big flat piece of meat. the only thing i remove is the thick tendon that runs down the center. you dont have to but when cooked it like a big rubber band.

spread my herb compund butter and roll it up and tie it. for a german take i braise it in dark beer. but usually ill add fruit and some type of cider instead of the beer. any kind of fruit pairs really well with any cut of deer, just like lamb. the two go to herbs are thyme and rosemary. add some garlic in there too. salt and pepper for the outside.

cooking temps from 300-375. ive found it doesnt really matter as the key is to keep it covered and keep cooking until you can pull it with a fork.

mike243

Last 1 I smoked bone in , put a rub on it, wrapped heavy with bacon and smoked, no matter which way you go look for the glands and remove them. If I were to do now boneless I would put a rub on layer bacon and roll it up and smoke till 135, bag it and SV at about 160 for about 6 hours, let rest 30-45 minutes then remove from bag. slice and enjoy the juices over some type of potatoes or parsnips if you prefer