Fav cut of beef Steak

Nhill

I guess it depends on what I'm wanting to do. I think overall, it's a tri-tip. I like to roast them in the grill, a bit offset from the fire. But I love a filet for a fancy dinner. If I want to cook a steak, I'm going NY Strip in favor of a ribeye. But it's hard to beat a flank steak that's got a nice marinade to it.

As for restaurants, I just can't stand ordering steak somewhere. The only time I'm ever happy with a steak at a restaurant is if it's one of those fancy, high end places, and I'll only get a filet.
Where do you get your tri-tips from?
I read a lot about them but can never find them in a grocery store.
I even had a beef slaughtered last year and asked for the tri-tip and they didn't know how to cut it and ended up giving me a bottom
Round or something like that (not going back there)

Blackbullet

I used to like ribeye the best. I don't really know now because I've had some really good beef and if the beef is good, a strip can be as good as a ribeye. But if it's a lesser grade of beef, I would go for the ribeye.

archer19

I love steak period. Each has a characteristic of its own that when prepared properly is great.
the best I've personally ever had is a NY strip at Flying Fish on Disney Boardwalk. That thing was heaven on a plate.... not just once but all 3 times I've tried it.
Salt and pepper seared on a 800 degree cast iron plate to med rare

TAFKAP

I even had a beef slaughtered last year and asked for the tri-tip and they didn't know how to cut it and ended up giving me a bottom

The butcher at Whole Foods typically offers a tri-tip. This far away from California, you may have to seek out a craft butcher near Knoxville that can do it.

Safari Hunt

Filet mignon! My mother worked in the office of a food processor. She would buy them by the case along with quality burger patties. Lived on filets one summer!

WTM

most of the time they cut them and sell them as sirloin tips, which is what it is connected to. ask the butcher for a whole bottom sirloin butt.

if you want to try picanha ask for a top sirloin cap.

rukiddin

Ribeye/prime rib and then fillet.

fat=flavor. I'm the easiest person in the world to cook a ribeye for. I don't care if it's 3/4" or 2" thick. 30-45 secs on each side and it's done.
IMO Texas Roadhouse and longhorn have the best steaks of anywhere round here. The outlaw ribeye at longhorn is some mighty fine vittles. There's a well known steakhouse in south Knoxville that everyone raves about. For me, it's average at best. Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse on a bad night is still 10 x's better than that place.

archer19

Ribeye/prime rib and then fillet.

fat=flavor. I'm the easiest person in the world to cook a ribeye for. I don't care if it's 3/4" or 2" thick. 30-45 secs on each side and it's done.
IMO Texas Roadhouse and longhorn have the best steaks of anywhere round here. The outlaw ribeye at longhorn is some mighty fine vittles. There's a well known steakhouse in south Knoxville that everyone raves about. For me, it's average at best. Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse on a bad night is still 10 x's better than that place.
Ye Ol Steakhouse?

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
2-Step Enabled
I love steak period. Each has a characteristic of its own that when prepared properly is great.
the best I've personally ever had is a NY strip at Flying Fish on Disney Boardwalk. That thing was heaven on a plate.... not just once but all 3 times I've tried it.
Salt and pepper seared on a 800 degree cast iron plate to med rare
I'm going down there soon, and they are opening back up. Will have to try. I've been a Shula's and the steak burger cooked at the Yachtsman has been a favorite for me.

archer19

I'm going down there soon, and they are opening back up. Will have to try. I've been a Shula's and the steak burger cooked at the Yachtsman has been a favorite for me.
Headed down in 17 days.
don't think the Flying Fish or Yachtsman will be open yet :(
Wine Bar George has a great Skirt Steak.

Latest posts