Fast Iowa Bird

PickettSFHunter

I worked 10 hours yesterday and then began the long drive to Iowa. I didn't intend on driving the whole way but I felt fine so I just went for it. I arrived at a public parking area at 0230 and tried to catch some rest. At 0515, I stepped out of the truck and could hear gobbles in every direction. Problem was, it was a narrow but deep stretch of public. All that I could hear were on private. I began walking and heard a bird that I thought was on public after about 3/4 of a mile or so. I moved in, yelped to locate, and began moving more toward him for better position as he was still pretty far away. Before I knew it, he had closed the distance fast. I had to just sit down in a spot that I really wouldn't have otherwise. He came to the a ridge top, strutted, and gobbled several times for 30 minutes or so. I went completely quite on him to not get busted and try to get him to come looking. After 30 minutes or so, him and a hen walked right down the gun barrel to 20 or so yards. Big bird, with Limbhanger hooks. The question now is what to do? My Wisconsin quota hunt doesn't start until Monday the 17th. I think I'll head for Minnesota since it is on the way, even though I have gotten a turkey there before. I couldn't think of other over the counter options close by this late.

Attachments

• FF29A47F-A2B0-4A24-8C12-DC2236C29AB9.png
    FF29A47F-A2B0-4A24-8C12-DC2236C29AB9.png
    15 MB · Views: 371
  • EAA12B5F-3471-485D-9B39-9B87AD658EA0.jpeg
    EAA12B5F-3471-485D-9B39-9B87AD658EA0.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 316

woodsman04

I worked 10 hours yesterday and then began the long drive to Iowa. I didn't intend on driving the whole way but I felt fine so I just went for it. I arrived at a public parking area at 0230 and tried to catch some rest. At 0515, I stepped out of the truck and could hear gobbles in every direction. Problem was, it was a narrow but deep stretch of public. All that I could hear were on private. I began walking and heard a bird that I thought was on public after about 3/4 of a mile or so. I moved in, yelped to locate, and began moving more toward him for better position as he was still pretty far away. Before I knew it, he had closed the distance fast. I had to just sit down in a spot that I really wouldn't have otherwise. He came to the a ridge top, strutted, and gobbled several times for 30 minutes or so. I went completely quite on him to not get busted and try to get him to come looking. After 30 minutes or so, him and a hen walked right down the gun barrel to 20 or so yards. Big bird, with Limbhanger hooks. The question now is what to do? My Wisconsin quota hunt doesn't start until Monday the 17th. I think I'll head for Minnesota since it is on the way, even though I have gotten a turkey there before. I couldn't think of other over the counter options close by this late.
Good deal, you sure enough get on em.
I'd hunt somewhere else if possible. If not then you'd have plenty of time to scout. If legal.

Latest posts