• Help Support TNDeer:

Family/hunting dog

ETNyates

I’ve seen what looks like some quality breeders of Boykins in TN. Does anyone have any highly recommended breeder? Also what is the typical price range?

jlanecr500

Supporter
I haven't had a ton of dogs but bird hunted with Brittany's when I was young. Now that I'm older, I have 3. 2 30lb female French Brittany's and a 45lb male American Brittany. We've had custody of our grandkids for 28 months. They all absolutely love children and birds of course. They are high energy. I've been working one of the females at squirrel hunting. She is all about it until birds get involved. She is easily trained and is obedient.
10545.jpeg

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

jag1

I’ve never been around one and would love to interact with one for an hour or so.
The ones I know are one person dogs. They'll love the family but be devoted beyond belief to you. Don't get upset when the ones you interact with ignore you. It is possible. I used to take mine with me to school and the kids would try their darndest to get her to leave my desk. Generally didn't happen : )

reliable

Anyone around the maryville area have a Boykin? I’ve never been around one and would love to interact with one for an hour or so. I don’t have Facebook so this is my only option other than contacting a bunch of breeders.
I’m in Chattanooga, have a 10 month old male Boykin. Have always had labs, still have 9 yr old female lab now. Boykin is a delight. Only wants to please. Easy to train. First small dog for us, already a favorite. Tons of personality. Tons. Glad I got him. Was a big decision. Do not regret at all.
Feel free to contact for more info.

casjoker

I have owned (all hunting/field lines): GSP (2) English Setter (1) Irish Setters (3) Labs (3) Chessies (5)
I have a good amount of experience with Goldens, Labs, Chessies, Beagles, Boykins, Springers, Irish Setters, Gordon Setters, GSP, and Field Spaniels.

I would recommend a Lab or Golden with a field background if this is your first time owning and training a dog. They can kind of do it all, especially for the occasional hunter, retrieve, flush, be a decent dog around the house (I do find Labs can be somewhat destructive compared to other breeds).

The spaniels are all good but can be very high energy (again stay with field lines).

Only an English Setter (Llewellin) is worth considering for hunting these days. I heard Irish Setters are making a come back but they are almost all show. Never seen a Gordon that was much of a hunter.

GSPs are good but you need to exercise them or they can be a little crazy.

I find my Chessies way easier to deal with than 99% of the Boykins I have dealt with. Not to say both aren't great dogs just be prepared for either breed to try to outsmart you daily. A Boykin is on my list to own someday.

If you want more info about Chessies send me a PM. They are not what they used to be 30-40 years ago. Many are very lab like in their qualities and are much easier to train.

For retrievers, I highly recommend Bill Hillman's Training a Retriever Puppy.

If you decide on a particular breed it might be worth joining a local chapter of whatever club represents them. You will often get the inside info on upcoming breedings and get better info than what a google review might say.

A lot of people will tell you how great their dogs are but until you see the dog work and its obedience level take it all with a grain of salt. Most importantly find an ethical/reputable breeder regardless of the breed selected and put the time into the dog. Most with decent pedigrees will be as good as you make them.

ETNyates

I’m in Chattanooga, have a 10 month old male Boykin. Have always had labs, still have 9 yr old female lab now. Boykin is a delight. Only wants to please. Easy to train. First small dog for us, already a favorite. Tons of personality. Tons. Glad I got him. Was a big decision. Do not regret at all.
Feel free to contact for more info.
Thanks for the input, I didn’t know them before but I’m really loving all the info on the Boykin.

ETNyates

I have owned (all hunting/field lines): GSP (2) English Setter (1) Irish Setters (3) Labs (3) Chessies (5)
I have a good amount of experience with Goldens, Labs, Chessies, Beagles, Boykins, Springers, Irish Setters, Gordon Setters, GSP, and Field Spaniels.

I would recommend a Lab or Golden with a field background if this is your first time owning and training a dog. They can kind of do it all, especially for the occasional hunter, retrieve, flush, be a decent dog around the house (I do find Labs can be somewhat destructive compared to other breeds).

The spaniels are all good but can be very high energy (again stay with field lines).

Only an English Setter (Llewellin) is worth considering for hunting these days. I heard Irish Setters are making a come back but they are almost all show. Never seen a Gordon that was much of a hunter.

GSPs are good but you need to exercise them or they can be a little crazy.

I find my Chessies way easier to deal with than 99% of the Boykins I have dealt with. Not to say both aren't great dogs just be prepared for either breed to try to outsmart you daily. A Boykin is on my list to own someday.

If you want more info about Chessies send me a PM. They are not what they used to be 30-40 years ago. Many are very lab like in their qualities and are much easier to train.

For retrievers, I highly recommend Bill Hillman's Training a Retriever Puppy.

If you decide on a particular breed it might be worth joining a local chapter of whatever club represents them. You will often get the inside info on upcoming breedings and get better info than what a google review might say.

A lot of people will tell you how great their dogs are but until you see the dog work and its obedience level take it all with a grain of salt. Most importantly find an ethical/reputable breeder regardless of the breed selected and put the time into the dog. Most with decent pedigrees will be as good as you make them.
Thank you for the information! As I said before I’ve had a couple labs in the past and am just not interested in them moving forward. I already had some notions going into this post but I’m definitely leaning towards the GSPs and boykins at this point. I’m not terribly worried about the exercise as we live a pretty active lifestyle and I run 5+ miles everyday. I plan to have whatever dog I get to go with me on that and all the other activities we do.
I’ll look into that training as well!

7mm08

GSP
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
English Setter
I’ve had all three.......all great dogs. The Griff is a crazy water dog and probably the smartest dog of the three. The GSP was a real hunter and smart. Not so hot on retrieving....... would find a dead bird but I guess she didn’t like the taste of guts!

German Wirehaired Pointer

Latest posts