Faking injury in college football?

PalsPal

I couldn't remember if any rules were passed concerning injured players missing a series etc, so I googled it. I couldn't find much, except this one article that talks about it, and how it's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Imagine my laughter when I saw the college coach they quoted about how bad the issue has become:

Coaches have also addressed the need for more effective enforcement from the NCAA. "Like anything, there has got to be a penalty for it," Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin said when discussing the issue earlier this year. "Really, if you want to change it, let the conference review it, look at the film, and when they deem it to be an obvious faking of an injury, then there's a penalty, a fine, and I promise you it would never happen anywhere."

THEdonkey0515

I thought it was a pretty simple fix the NCAA drop the ball on.

If a young man is so hurt he can't make it to his feet without trainers rushing the field stopping the game dude needs to set out a series, that simple. Give the trainers extra time to look at him make sure he is good on the sideline. Let him take a couple plays off if he really was hurting. I mean is it not all about saftey now days? If he was faking it he can still set out a series for punishment.

If the same dude falls over 7 times in a half then he probably shouldn't be playing like some of those old miss players

Last edited:

PalsPal

and I promise you it would never happen anywhere."

I think they went to him for a comment since he's one of the most egregious offenders. BUT, he had the correct response. I read it to say, "I'm not breaking any rules. If you don't like it change the rules!"

And he's right. There are numerous videos from last year where he's motioning players to "go down". He knew that he couldn't stop our offense, and used the current rules to his advantage.

We can bad mouth him, throw golf balls at him, etc., but while unethical to most, he didn't break any rules.

It's kind of like reaping a gobbler :D !

BMan

I thought it was a pretty simple fix the NCAA drop the ball on.

If a young man is so hurt he can't make it to his feet without trainers rushing the field stopping the game dude needs to set out a series, that simple. Give the trainers extra time to look at him make sure he is good on the sideline. Let him take a couple plays off if he really was hurting. I mean is it not all about saftey now days? If he was faking it he can still set out a series for punishment.

If the same dude falls over 7 times in a half then he probably shouldn't be playing like some of those old miss players

Make him stay out six plays, not counting kicking attempts. If it's inside two minutes, stays out the remainder of the game.

PalsPal

Read an article where it says that they debated it quite a bit earlier in the year. The thing that kept them from enacting a rule is the fact that a truly injured player might be hesitant to go down so as to not miss plays, and then risk more severe injury.

Something has to be done!

THEdonkey0515

Read an article where it says that they debated it quite a bit earlier in the year. The thing that kept them from enacting a rule is the fact that a truly injured player might be hesitant to go down so as to not miss plays, and then risk more severe injury.

Something has to be done!
Doesn't the same happen now would be my argument? If a injured player wants to play that bad his not going to go down with the rules now. If he does its for one play and the coaches running him right back out.

THEdonkey0515

It was getting RIDICULOUS by the end of the season last year. I'd love to have a TKO rule. Stop the clock 3 times and you're out.
I would be fine with that.

If you can't make it to your feet in between plays 3-4 times during a game to walk to the sidelines your in no shape to be playing a college football game at the highest level.

Pic IN the Casa

Last year I was at the Austin Peay vs TSU game. APSU was up by like 17 points with 5 minutes to go. TSU had 9 injuries before :59 to go. They never scored a point and were still faking injuries. One guy laid on the ground 5 times- not kidding. It was to the point that APSU fans were booing loudly and yelling every name in the book at Eddie George.

wayne

Doesn't the same happen now would be my argument? If a injured player wants to play that bad his not going to go down with the rules now. If he does its for one play and the coaches running him right back out.
We have players skipping Bowl games now. They're not going to stay in for a few plays if they are really injured.

wayne

I would be fine with that.

If you can't make it to your feet in between plays 3-4 times during a game to walk to the sidelines your in no shape to be playing a college football game at the highest level.
Giving the benefit of a doubt, maybe some players are choosing to go down when the know they wouldn't make it to the sideline and a replacement make it on to the field without an offsides or too many players penalty. Which is a smart play.

LY

If there's really no rule change going into this year, then I suspect more teams will use it against TN this year. AL and GA won't do it just because they won't have to, but the rest of the teams are very likely to do it. Not all of them will, but I suspect enough of them will do it to make difference in at least a couple of close games. I mean why not, Old Miss got away with it and it helped them escape with a win. For the money these coaches are making and the need for every win to keep that money flowing, you can't really blame them, especially when there's no repercussions.

THEdonkey0515

We have players skipping Bowl games now. They're not going to stay in for a few plays if they are really injured.
Cause players no longer care about 6-6, 7-5 bowl games I don't really blame them.

If.they don't care about a conference match up like the Ole Miss vs UT game last year they don't need to play.

THEdonkey0515

Giving the benefit of a doubt, maybe some players are choosing to go down when the know they wouldn't make it to the sideline and a replacement make it on to the field without an offsides or too many players penalty. Which is a smart play.
Yeah it's smart so is going down just to rest against a fast paced team like Tennessee also, never said it wasn't.

Your still "Faking" a injury to get some benefit out of it which is wrong in my opinion. If the offense subs you have time to sub. If not man up line up play ball

Last edited:

THEdonkey0515

you can't really blame them, especially when there's no repercussions.
Agree, still don't mean it's not cheesy/dirty.

You can go back and watch lane yelling at players to fall down in that game doing arm montions to get down then they all of sudden forget how to walk. That's not the only time it was done happens alot.That's a problem, that needs to be fixed. Also It can't make the players feel could knowing they had to fake 47 injuries and get ref help to barley get by a vols team that was predicted to win around 5 games lol.

Also as fans on either side who wants to watch 45 mins of stoppage and commercials at the end of a close game in the 4th quarter because one team is scared they can't keep up.

Latest posts