Excalibur Matrix 380

bigtex

Congrats! I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
I've only heard of one person that had one and didn't like it.

cecil30-30

I hope you shot one first. They are way more loud than any other X bow out there. Not to mention the extra vibration. I won't go into detail about my bad experience with the 380 Just know I was extremely disappointed with it and excalibur as a company and will never own another one of there products.

Homebrewer

I have not ever had a crossbow, I was in the Sporting Goods business years ago and could draw any bow. I had one PSE on the rack that pegged out at 106 pounds, But my rotator cuff hurts when I pull my Grandsons 25 pound bow, so I studied and studied and the Excalibur at 380 ft. per second wouldn't seem to matter how loud it is at 20-30 yards. BTW I did see your comments before I ordered one, I can only hope you had a lemon. I will let you know, suppose to be here by Friday!

Homebrewer

Well, it came in this morning by UPS and I have put it together here at work and just now the Rinehart 18-1 came in. Now just finding the time to shoot. I will let you know what I think!

mike243

no matter how fast your bolt is if the deer knows you are there a 10 yard shot they can and will jump the string at 10 yards. mine shoots 335fps or so, didnt think no way I could mess up, wrong! you live with it I cant, I will never shoot another that knows im there

shoelessjoe

I have killed several deer with a 330 fps cb. I personally don't take shots beyond 30 yds. If a deer can jump the string at 10 yds, I would have to see it to believe it!

Homebrewer

Mike 243 did say "if the deer knows you are there". If he is already spooked he will try to jump, but I don't think he can move that fast at 10 yards. If he is not spooked, at 380fps, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot 40 yards.

shoelessjoe

10 yds = 30 ft
Crossbow shoots 330 fps
Speed of sound = 1,125 fps

30/330 = .0909 seconds for bolt to reach deer at 10 yds
30/1,125 = .0266 seconds for sound to reach deer at 10 yds

The deer would have .0643 seconds to react and get out of the way. I am a non-believer!

TheLBLman

I think we often "think" they're responding to the sound, when what they are really responding to is visual. Unlike the speed of sound, there is no delay in the speed of light. Anything suddenly moving fast, like bow limbs, can sure get a deer's attention.

And, sometimes, just at that micro-second of the release, that's also just when a deer gets a whiff of human scent. Sometimes deer suddenly bolt even when they hear or see nothing.

TheLBLman

When a deer's peripheral vision SUDDENLY picks up FAST movement, years of evolution has conditioned the survivors to suddenly bolt.

Doesn't matter what that movement is, as to the deer in my neck of the woods, every sudden movement is a lunging coyote.

Latest posts