Euro mount of my 8-point.

CharlieTN

I finally got a buck that I wanted to hang on the wall in a euro mount. It was my 8-point from this year.

Just wanted to share the end result as well as how I attached the skull in case it can help someone else out. I had done one about 5 years ago.

Fleshed it out, removing as much as possible including tongue and eyes. Simmered it for roughly 5 1/2 hours with a degreaser and a scoop of oxy-clean in the water. Occasionally i would pull it out and scrape off whatever tissue would come off. At the end, I removed the last bits with a pressure washer. If you go easy you can keep the spiral bone in the sinuses, which I think look cool.

After pressure washing and any final scraping/picking of flesh I coated it in a mixture of a powdered "bleaching" solution and household peroxide and let it set until that was dry and flaking off. Brushed it then hosed it down and let it dry once again. I did have to glue the nose bridge back tight as well as glue back on the zygomatic arch.

The board is an old piece of very weathered walnut. The skull is attached with a hollow wall anchor with wings.

On a side note, I found roughly 11 of those nasty nasal botfly larvae in his sinuses. I don't know how on earth he was able to breathe.

Attachments

• 785B233A-09C3-4EBC-BAF0-BCADE76DED71.jpeg
    785B233A-09C3-4EBC-BAF0-BCADE76DED71.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 967
  • 4A6340BE-DEF9-4139-91DB-F431BD3EB234.jpeg
    4A6340BE-DEF9-4139-91DB-F431BD3EB234.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 963

double browtine

That looks great! I have 2 in the freezer that I need to do. One for my son and the other for my neice. I have watched several YouTube videos. The simmer and pressure washing seems to be the easiest way to get it done.

Omega

double browtine":1je4pq16 said:
That looks great! I have 2 in the freezer that I need to do. One for my son and the other for my neice. I have watched several YouTube videos. The simmer and pressure washing seems to be the easiest way to get it done.
If you choose to pressure wash, be careful with the sinus cavity(below the eye sockets), and the nasal cavity, there are some fine bones in there that can be blown out easily. I just scraped off as much tissue as possible and all the brain matter before boiling, skipping the pressure washer.
xtQ8C2r.jpg

yiKGAqB.jpg

Latest posts