ethanol vs non ethanol gas

WTM

which do you guys use in your new boats? non ethanol is getting harder to find and about a dollar more a gallon.

saw an old high school chum filling up with ethanol fuel and he said he doesnt have any problems with it in his new mercury.

so is the ethanol problems just hype in a boat motor?

i know it will gum a lawnmower carb pretty good if it sits very long.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I still run non-ethanol 100% of the time in my Yamaha 25 h.p.
Dunno if it's hype or not but after dropping that much money on the motor I wasn't gonna take any chances.

Plus with no more than I use the cost of the fuel is a non-factor.

drrxnupe

I can't speak for outboards but it makes a significant difference in lawn equipment. I buy the premixed 2 cycle fuel from Lowes in the red can. My chain saw, edger, and blower thank me for it. they've been running the last 3-4 years without a hiccup. They all fire up on first pull every time.

catman529

I would guess the new motors are made for e10 fuel but I think it's all the older marine motors that will get messed up. I only run pure gas in mine since it's a 1985. Occasionally pour in some sea foam as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SilverFox

I may have a problem tomorrow but I've never had any problems with ethanol fuels. I've run it in my weed eaters, blowers, mowers and stuff like that since it came out. All my lawn equipment was bought new in 2003 or 2004. I do run marvel mystery oil in them most of the time. I ran some ethanol in my old boat when I couldn't get non but I've always used stabil in it along with marvel mystery oil too. My new boat has 100% gas in it since there's a station right down the road. Yamaha says their new motors are fine with 10% ethanol. I put marvel mystery oil in the gas for it too.

ronnycl

Non ethanol only here. If I get into a situation where i need fuel and cannot find non ethanol i will go home. I also add stabil with every tank, regardless every tank... all carb issues resolved since using this practice.

woodyard

I had that question for the dealer when I bought my new one. He said the Merc was made to run with ethanol and reading the owners manual it states it. He did say that he ran non- ethanol in his. I run non- ethanol in all my small engines and will run it in this new one as well.

larry ipock

I have a 05 90 hp. merc. The manual states ok to run E10 fuel but don't. There are two place to buy 100% non alcohol gas here in town, 25 cents more per gallon. Still use stabil with every tank. On the few occasions I've ran acohol mixed, It did seem to make a little difference in performance.

double browtine

Smo

WTM , I read or heard somewhere that if you run ethanol fuel you need to use synthetic oil.

Apparently 2 cycle oil will separate in the ethanol fuel.

I still pay the price and drive the extra mile for the none ethanol fuel.

bluball

I've run ethanol fuel In my boat every since it bought new new in 2008.Have never had a problem yet[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Crosshairy

ethanol-free gas is more forgiving, especially if you aren't a heavy user. If you are burning through tanks of gas every year, then it might not matter too much to you as long as you do a good job of winterizing the boat at the end of fishing season.

If you are like me, however, and do more fishing than boat driving, then you'll probably notice a difference in motor reliability from using ethanol-free gas.

WTM

yeah the dealer told me it would run ethanol but he didnt recommend it. philip 66 opened their card pay only pumps back up and they are only 20 cents more than regular gas, im staying with non e10 for now. the eagle store is 3.65 a gallon for 87 non e10, what a rip off. the 66 gas is 93 octane to boot.

looks like a lot of work if e10 gas seperates or sours.

thanks for the replies.

Big John in TN

Always ran 10% ethanol in all the boat motors I had and got along fine. Not worth it to me to hunt around for non-ethanol and would rather go fishing instead. Always used quality two stroke oil though, preferably OEM. I think the trick is to not let it sit for very long, as we use the boat year around.

Recommended fuel for my 150 Optimax is 87 octane minimum, but always use premium. 87 regular gas has that octane at the pump, but not several days later after it sits.

HP big motors may have a different requirement.

Latest posts