End of the season bird. Weird!

Derek

I killed a turkey the last week of the season. I've killed over 30 Toms in my life and I've never seen this.
He had a double beard, and each beard was thick and 8 1/2 inches long. But.......no spurs. I mean none!
You could see where they should be, but nada. Anybody ever seen that? Fan was a full fan, not a jake fan.
He was maybe 18-19 lbs. A little lighter than some birds I've killed. Ideas?

tn24

I killed a long beard years ago with no spurs. I was calling to a gobbling bird down below and he came in from the side. Never gobbled but was drumming and strutting.

megalomaniac

Unusual, but not unheard of. I've killed one with no spurs. I've killed two with 1 spur on one side and none on the other. And I've killed one that had 3 spurs on each side.

Sometimes no spurs is genetic, sometimes they have broken their spurs off. If the legs are completely slick, it's genetic most likely.

cbhunter

Unusual, but not unheard of. I've killed one with no spurs. I've killed two with 1 spur on one side and none on the other. And I've killed one that had 3 spurs on each side.

Sometimes no spurs is genetic, sometimes they have broken their spurs off. If the legs are completely slick, it's genetic most likely.
do you have a pic of the triple spears?

megalomaniac

I'll see if I can find the pic... but its from 8 years ago or so

But birds can do some crazy things at times... I actually have a hermaphrodite chicken right now. It is half male and half female. Seriously... looking at it from the left side it looks like a male with male coloration and spur on left leg. The right side of the chicken is female coloration with no spur on right leg. Comb is halfway between a roo and a hen. Doesn't lay, but behaviorally acts like a female.

Gravey

I'll see if I can find the pic... but its from 8 years ago or so

But birds can do some crazy things at times... I actually have a hermaphrodite chicken right now. It is half male and half female. Seriously... looking at it from the left side it looks like a male with male coloration and spur on left leg. The right side of the chicken is female coloration with no spur on right leg. Comb is halfway between a roo and a hen. Doesn't lay, but behaviorally acts like a female.
Mississippi right? That explains it. 😂 j/k...would love to see the triple spurs bird. Never heard of such.

Joe2Kool

Same here. Killed one last year with no spurs. 9" beard. Adult bird. And he weighed a whopping 11 pounds! He came in gobbling and strutting just like he owned the place.

megalomaniac

Haven't found the pic, but it looked like this one. Normal spur with 1/3in tiny spurs above and below the main spur. Not really all that impressive actually, esp when compared to a bird with 1.75in single spurs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210531-131408_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210531-131408_Google.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts