End of Christmas vacation hunt success!

duckduck84

Went and braved the cold yesterday with my buddy from 945 until dark and saw nothing. Finally about 430 I decided to get down and just scout the fields and see if anything was moving. As I walked through the tractor trail between fields I caught movement through the tall grass. Literally crab walked to the edge and saw 4 does feeding in the field.

Grabbed my spotting scope to check for antlers or buttons, guessed at least one small one to be a button, but 2 good size does with them. Ranged at 176 yards then army crawled to the edge of the grass. Watched the biggest one for a few minutes until she gave me a decent shot and she dropped right there. 308 tore up the lungs but there was no exit hole. Not sure if it bounced off or what but ended up getting the guts just a bit as well. Got her dressed and cleaned out quick and off to the processor she went.

Third for me this season and first time I've killed a deer in November, December, and January. Second I've shot over 100 yards while prone as well lol pretty happy with that. I also swapped to lead free ammo this year and was a little worried about expansion and tracking but every deer has dropped within feet of the shot.
fc299c624b7549ef19da8ffa656dfc2e.jpg

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
f626f020005b3b10a074b390d21a7e1f.jpg

John.M

Re: End of Christmas vacation hunt success!

Nice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

Congratulations and good shooting! What puzzles me though is no exit using a 308 and non lead bullet? I would expect such a hard bullet to always pass through on a broadside shot like that!

duckduck84

Hunter 257W":9m94m29i said:
Congratulations and good shooting! What puzzles me though is no exit using a 308 and non lead bullet? I would expect such a hard bullet to always pass through on a broadside shot like that!
I thought the same thing. I initially assumed I misjudged the angle she was standing, but from where her guts were clipped she would have had to have been standing almost facing me and that wasn't the case. It was odd for sure.

Hunter 257W

duckduck84":1224n4ex said:
Hunter 257W":1224n4ex said:
I thought the same thing. I initially assumed I misjudged the angle she was standing, but from where her guts were clipped she would have had to have been standing almost facing me and that wasn't the case. It was odd for sure.

I guess it just shows that if you shoot enough deer you're liable to see anything. :) The only non-lead bullet I've had stay inside a deer was on a young buck that I shot quartering towards me at around 175 yards using the Barnes .257 100 grain TTSX. It passed through the chest cavity and hit the front end of the pelvic bones completely shattering it. There was no exit hole so I was excited to see what the bullet looked like. Well as it often goes, it was darned cold that morning and when I gutted the deer I was in a big hurry to finish and clean my hands off so I never found the bullet.

Latest posts