Smokeless Encore/ Pacnor smokeless question

Smokeless

KPH

I have a MGM barrel that goes on a Encore frame that Arrowhead turned into a dang good 45 cal smokeless. Got 3 deer with it this year, they never took a step.

GMB54

The Pacnors are 8 land, Brux are 6 and MGM are 5r so if sabots are on the list you may prefer a Pacnor barrel. So that means you need to get a 45/70 aftermarket and convert it or have a complete custom built for you. IIRC Bullberry will make you a Encore 45/70 Pacnor barrel or at least they have in the past.

Last edited:

rodeojoe

I was wanting to get rid of the sabot.
I also have a 50 cal. 700ML smokeless, I had built in 2016.
Could I get a 50 cal. bullet and use a pad between it and the powder instead of going 45 cal. with my Encore?
Guess someone makes good 50 cal. bullets for smokeless rifles. I have not looked into that.
I don't know of anybody that shoots one. Everyone I know uses 45 cals.

KPH

I was wanting to get rid of the sabot.
I also have a 50 cal. 700ML smokeless, I had built in 2016.
Could I get a 50 cal. bullet and use a pad between it and the powder instead of going 45 cal. with my Encore?
Guess someone makes good 50 cal. bullets for smokeless rifles. I have not looked into that.
I don't know of anybody that shoots one. Everyone I know uses 45 cals.
Get on Arrowheads web and look around the 45 I got from them doesn't use a sabot, maybe give them a call. not trying to sell for them but I like what I got from them.

Jcalder

Pretty sure you can find a sizing die for 50 cal Bullets and fury Bullets makes a 50 cal bullet as well. Yes, you would most likely need the sizing die to go sabotless.

GMB54

Fury has several full bore 50cal options. They are listed under blackpowder but you can probably work up a smokeless load that works fine too. I would look at the 320gr offerings and probably one of the more commonly used slower MLII powders. I have never used Accurate 2015 but the pressures/speed it makes looks to be right inline with something like that.

rodeojoe

Fury has several full bore 50cal options. They are listed under blackpowder but you can probably work up a smokeless load that works fine too. I would look at the 320gr offerings and probably one of the more commonly used slower MLII powders. I have never used Accurate 2015 but the pressures/speed it makes looks to be right inline with something like that.

rodeojoe

I looked into Fury 50 cal. black powder bullets. They are extra soft and I would have to down load to use them.
If I have to down load my smokeless, I would loss most of the advantages of going with the smokeless system.

I talked to Parker bullets as that is what I shoot right now with the sabots. They said if I want to loose the sabot that I would have to re-barrel to 45 cal.

I have an Encore rifle, I am thinking on just seeing about getting a 45 cal. rifle barrel made into a smokeless front stuffer.

Any one on here done that?

GMB54

Guys are shooting them Fury "smoker" bullets over 2200fps in rifles like the Paramount and RUMLs. Both are quite capable of MLIIish type speeds using BH209. The soft jackets/core help them bump up into the rifling with low pressure loads. The jackets are still bonded to the cores. 2015 and LT-32 for example make very low peak with a 300gr bullet and about the same speed as the "super mag" BH209 loads in a RUML with a ASG LRMP plug conversion.

Luke at ASG offers some 10 packs you could try.

They start at just $9/10 plus shipping. Jacket is soldered to lead core for excellent weight retention. 0.021″ Jacket.
DSC_6862.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts