Elk trip information needed!

gobblesandgrunts

So my father in law has a sister that lives in Wyoming. Cokeville is the name of the town, unit 104 for hunting. We are going to draw a tag for next season. Problem is this is uncharted territory for us. We only hunt whitetails. So my question is, does anyone have any information at all as to how the hunting is in cokeville or unit 104. Certain tactics etc because Im basically clueless. Lol if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it. Know its a Longshot but thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BlackEagle1

I don't really know anything about that unit other than it's a general tag. It'll probably take you several years of preference points to have a chance at drawing a bull tag. There's several private/restricted cow tags given out for that unit. You maybe able to go that route since you have a local connection.

JCDEERMAN

I don't know about elk hunting in that state, but elk hunting in general all depends on the timing of when you're hunting, as they are very much driven by the season, the rut and elevation......Think whitetails X 1000. When will you be hunting - is this early archery, muzzleloader, or gun?

Polarkraft

gobblesandgrunts":23kbk5ja said:
Oh so we aren't guaranteed a bull tag?

Draw chances should be posted on the wyoming game and fish site. Many units in wyoming take a couple years to draw

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gtk

Staff member

John3

Listen to the podcast "elk talk" with randy newberg. It's free and he gives info about hunting in every different state. You can pick and choose which ones you want to listen to but he breaks down the application process and gives lots of general info about elk hunting as well.

shirtshirt

If you're bow hunting you'll bugle and hopefully locate from there. Lot of walking. Pair of binos are valuable and spending time glassing can put you on elk. Wind is very important and you'll need a bottle of something like this to check wind:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/dead-down-wind-wind-detector

Weather is a little unpredictable. General rule of thumb, with the amount of walking, I always need less clothes than I think. Merino wool is very good for base layers. Forget cotton. Layer clothes so you can stay warm in early morning, remove layers as it warms up, and bundle back up when temps start to drop.

gobblesandgrunts

So talked to my father in laws sister. We will be taking horses into the mountains and camping in the mountains for a few days then coming home. I have no idea what gear to take etc.

gtk

Staff member
gobblesandgrunts":2bhqy0id said:
We will be taking horses into the mountains and camping in the mountains for a few days then coming home. I have no idea what gear to take etc.
What do they say? I would ask them since they live there. We had snow here in CO in Sept this year, and now its in the 80's again.

Did you ever find out about the tags?

I tell you what.. If tags are available I will just loan you my stuff. I"m not too far from WY. Im 6'0 even and 190 lbs and wear xl shirts . If your close to the same size how about i just load all my stuff up and just meet you and you can use anything i have that you need. then i guess i would just have to hunt with yall while i'm there. :super:

gobblesandgrunts

The size is perfect lol im gonna call the guy thatll be taking us into the mountains as soon as i can get his number. And we they said they think we can get s tag over the counter but they are having to check

Latest posts