Elk Tag Soup

TennesseeWJ

Sure does taste funny :D

Oh well, here's some pictures I took from the trip to CO.

COElkTrip2010007.jpg

COElkTrip2010012.jpg

COElkTrip2010039.jpg

COElkTrip2010043.jpg

Dang full moon killed our luck:

COElkTrip2010024.jpg

COElkTrip2010034.jpg

Had a pretty nasty storm roll in as well

COElkTrip2010030.jpg

Awesome place to hunt and I'll hopefully be back next year.

Shotgun84

Great pictures thanks for sharing. Sorry you didn't get one but at least you were there. What part of Colorado is that?

TennesseeWJ

Shotgun84 said:
Great pictures thanks for sharing. Sorry you didn't get one but at least you were there. What part of Colorado is that?

Southwest. I didn't expect to kill one on my first ever elk hunt, but I am surprised that nobody was seeing anything. I talked to a lot of people, and everyone was frustrated and seeing either very little or nothing.

Only saw three sets of horns in town. Still well worth the trip out and by far one of the best vacations I've ever taken.

4onaside

I always have to laugh with newcomers who think that killing one on a DIY elk hunt on public land is a sure thing. You guys who "don't expect to kill one" have the right approach. The rockies are some of the prettiest country on earth, and just being out in it for the first time is a wonderful experience. And, if you learned about the area, what it actually looks like in person, and where the elk are likely to be,and when they are likely to be there, it will greatly raise your odds for the next trip. Keep at it, and you will score.

TennesseeWJ

4onaside said:
I always have to laugh with newcomers who think that killing one on a DIY elk hunt on public land is a sure thing. You guys who "don't expect to kill one" have the right approach. The rockies are some of the prettiest country on earth, and just being out in it for the first time is a wonderful experience. And, if you learned about the area, what it actually looks like in person, and where the elk are likely to be,and when they are likely to be there, it will greatly raise your odds for the next trip. Keep at it, and you will score.

Yeah I feel like I learned a lot just from seeing the state and knowing what the area will look like for next time. Getting to get out and see another part of the country is worthwhile by far - if I ever do get an elk it will just be a bonus :)

I'm going to start building up preference points over the next couple years while hunting over-the-counter stuff in the meantime; hopefully by the time I have enough points to draw a really good tag I'll have gained enough knowledge to be successful. If not, it'll just be another nice hike in the woods

4onaside

TennesseeWJ said:
4onaside said:

Yeah I feel like I learned a lot just from seeing the state and knowing what the area will look like for next time. Getting to get out and see another part of the country is worthwhile by far - if I ever do get an elk it will just be a bonus :)

I'm going to start building up preference points over the next couple years while hunting over-the-counter stuff in the meantime; hopefully by the time I have enough points to draw a really good tag I'll have gained enough knowledge to be successful. If not, it'll just be another nice hike in the woods
Well, I wouldn't just write off OTC units, as being impossible to be successful. I consider unit 79 to be one of the poorest units in Colorado, but we've killed bulls there, because we keep after them and we have learned the unit. While it is no longer an OTC unit, the demand for tags in the draw is usually so low that leftover tags are available, without having to burn your preference points in the draw. The rifle success percentage is usually anywhere from 9 to 12%. But there are a whole lot more bulls there than in Knoxville or Jackson! lol

TennesseeWJ

Hahaha - yeah I work in Jackson during summers and I haven't seen any bulls there either :grin:

I've no doubt that success can be had on an OTC hunt, the local guy we hunted with has been successful many times in that unit. It is, however, very difficult to find a trophy bull in that type of area. I know that eventually I'll want to chase bigger bulls, which will most likely require being in a preference point area - fortunately that's a long way off.

4onaside

My goal is to last long enough for my "last hurrah". lol I have 7 pts, aiming for unit 76 again. Problem is, I'm long in the tooth, and the points required in good units increase every year. So its a race between life ending and having enough points! lol
One alternative is to become a resident of Colorado, which, with the lower number of points required for residents, would make me eligible for a tag NOW, well, after six months of residency. However, that move would probably be a little extreme, just to get a coveted elk tag, particularly when I have lived all of my life in west tennesse and obviously like it!

hunt_4646

Wyoming elk results were similar thru October. Summer stayed around a long time this year with the FIRST serious snow of 12" came Oct 24 thru 26. Locals say it is the slowest elk hunting in 20 years. Son in law took one elk. I did not get a decent shot in one month hunt. Scenery is fantastic.

4onaside

hunt_4646 said:
Wyoming elk results were similar thru October. Summer stayed around a long time this year with the FIRST serious snow of 12" came Oct 24 thru 26. Locals say it is the slowest elk hunting in 20 years. Son in law took one elk. I did not get a decent shot in one month hunt. Scenery is fantastic.
One plus on the long "summer" was that my wife and I were able to go The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone the first week in October unencumbered by the normal snow. Frankly, I enjoyed that as much as any hunt that I have ever been on.

Latest posts