Elk Gun

TX300mag

Since I'm planning on spending money on an elk tag, I won't on anything else I don't have to.

Is my best choice of what I have:
1. 30.06
2. 7mm

I have 300mag, but it needs some work as I replaced the stock and haven't gotten it to shoot right since.

I've become a fan of the 30.06 over the last several years as my A-bolt likes PowerPoint (at least in 150g) and I like paying $13/box at any Walmart I need to walk in to pretty much anywhere.

Am I ok switching to 180g and assuming my gun likes them focusing on other stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

Never elk hunted but I'd have to say that the 30.06 is probably the best all round caliber for anything in the US and most game outside the US. If you're gun likes the 180g then I'd go with them.

TX300mag

Thanks Mr. Belt, that's encouraging to hear. I'm not looking forward to adjusting the BOSS when I switch, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to dial it in and just use 180 for the rare whitetail I shoot with it from that point forward.

TX300mag

For the sake of weight should I leave the Model 7 7mm-08 on the list? It's easily the lightest rig. My kids might not like it though if it's during fun season. :D

gtk

Staff member
My brother killed his first elk with his 7mm-08 this year. If you put it thru the lungs they will die..

30-06 have killed many an elk. Don't assume anything about your gun.. It would be terrible to get out there and miss or bloody up an elk because your assumption was wrong

You have plenty of time to tinker with the 300 to get it shooting well, and that is what I would do

Crosshairy

I recently shot a cow with my buddy's 300 Win Mag. If hadn't offered the use of that gun, my plan was to use my dad's .30-06 due to the availability of heavier cartridges.

I sought out some advice on calibers and rounds prior to going on my hunt, and a common theme of the conversations was "pick a reasonable elk caliber (there are many), then get the best bullets you can for it". A lot of people worry more about carrying a big gun, but don't buy decent bullets to feed through it. Most of the conversations I had or read centered around getting bonded bullets that were meant to hold together better so that you have a better chance of an exit hole (blood trail).

I can tell you that I was amazed at how little blood an elk drops, even when shot all the way through. I believe there are several reasons for this. One fact I learned from my trip was that many shots are taken at ground level, and therefore you sometimes have no "slope" to the wound channel that helps blood come out more easily (compared to a deer stand, where they are often at steeper angles). A second one was that elk have a LOT more thick fur than a whitetail, and it absorbs more blood before it hits the ground. This may not affect the blood trail at the end of the animal's run, but it can make finding the start of the trail more tricky.

All that said, if you can get an exit hole on a shot, great. Everyone tells you "keep shooting until they are on the ground", but sometimes you don't get that chance for whatever reason. If that's the case, I want better odds of a blood trail.

For what it's worth, I got the Barnes TSX bullets for the 300 Win Mag. The cow I shot wasn't that big, but I got a pass through and it took maybe one step.

TNRifleman

Either of the two that you have will work just fine. I would go with whichever one you are more comfortable with or if one is significantly lighter, I would lean that way. With the 7mm Rem Mag or the 30-06 I would be more concerned with bullet choice than deciding between either of those calibers.

Buzzard Breath

I know so little about guns, I've got nothing constructive to add, but with a handle of TX300mag, you really should consider getting the 300 mag shooting right.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I would take the .300 win mag if I were going elk hunting but that's just me.
I am just convinced there is no substitute for that kind of power.
Blood trails are for bow hunting. :super:

Also, I will never get to elk hunt either so I guess it's irrelevant what I would do. :)

Best of luck and I hope you have a great trip and kill one.

TX300mag

Ok. Not the answer I was looking for, but I'm the one ASKING. I'll have to sand the stock and remount it I guess and start looking for a scope. And saving for ammo.

This is the only gun I have with much custom work done, I guess it's not right to leave it sitting.

hunter0925

Personally I always take 2 rifles when I go out west. There are to many opportunities to fall and break something for me not to. I invest good money into my guns but with that said, anything can break, even the most expensive optics. Point being, all of the guns you have listed will kill an elk but it isn't a bad idea to have a backup. My 300wsm always goes and my 325wsm as well. Hopefully my 280ai will be done and get a trip next time.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I'd tote the 30/06 and sling 180's....

.....although I would not be afraid to tote the little Remington 7/08 and shoot 140 Partitions or X bullets at any elk alive.

TNRifleman

hunter0925":1ddx9ly5 said:
Personally I always take 2 rifles when I go out west. There are to many opportunities to fall and break something for me not to. I invest good money into my guns but with that said, anything can break, even the most expensive optics. Point being, all of the guns you have listed will kill an elk but it isn't a bad idea to have a backup. My 300wsm always goes and my 325wsm as well. Hopefully my 280ai will be done and get a trip next time.

I agree with this for sure. I always tote two rifles with me out west. Day one of my elk hunt one year, I set my rifle against a tree so I could take a leak. I ended up bumping the gun with my boot and it fell over, with the bell of the scope being the first thing to hit frozen ground. When I got it back home and shot it, it was still dead on but I sure was happy to have a backup rifle with me to have one I had full confidence in.

Tennessee Lead

My brother and his best friend just took an elk hunt a couple weeks back a killed a cow with a .308
Either one of the guns you have are more than capable I'd say.

hunter0925

TNRifleman":3n6gjd7x said:
hunter0925":3n6gjd7x said:

I agree with this for sure. I always tote two rifles with me out west. Day one of my elk hunt one year, I set my rifle against a tree so I could take a leak. I ended up bumping the gun with my boot and it fell over, with the bell of the scope being the first thing to hit frozen ground. When I got it back home and shot it, it was still dead on but I sure was happy to have a backup rifle with me to have one I had full confidence in.

The way I see it, the trip is expensive whether it is self guided or if you pay an outfitter. I would hate to have to sit out the hunt because I only had one gun and I busted my scope, broke a base or any other reason.

shirtshirt

You'd be fine with either of those guns. Good point about bringing two rifles - on my hunt this year i had a issue with one rifle and wound up using a second.

Jmed

the .30-06 and the 7mm will do the job but you need to practice out at long range. Elk are spooky during gun seasons and you may have to take a poke at one. Ive been putting in for an elk tag for a hard to draw area. If I ever get the gun tag I will take my .300 winn as I am able to basically "put the crosshairs on it" out to 300 yards without having to make any adjustments. But my advice is to pic a good bonded bullet and practice a lot.

Mattt

06 with 180 gr partition or accubond. Usually not hard to get them to shoot either. The 7mm/160gr mentioned above is a good combo. 7mm/08 with 140 gr accubonds or partitions is a good choice also. Obviously the 300 will do a little more than the others. Doesn't matter what caliber if u can't shoot it. If 300 yds is what you are comfortable with don't shoot any further. I have seen a lot of elk hit the ground.have seen them run 2 miles after a good shot with a big caliber, have seen them drop in their tracks from a .264 at a little over 300yds. I believe they don't bleed as much because of the larger body and most people hit them higher in the vitals and the blood stays in the body longer.