Electrical Question

eweisner

eweisner

I run a concessions stand during basketball at school. I don't have a true concessions stand and make do with what I have. Right now I have power from two outlets on different circuits. Which I'm assuming are 20 amp breakers. I'm running a coke cooler and hotdog roller off of one, a nacho cheese machine and popcorn machine off the other.

I am purchasing a pizza warmer and am sure I will need more power.
Popcorn machine - 1350 watts 110V
Hotdog Machine - 1800 Watts, 110V/60Hz,
Nacho Cheese Machine - 225 Watts 120V/50/60Hz
Pizza Warmer - 750 W / 110 V
Coke Machine - 115v/60/1ph

Can I use a step up transformer to accomplish this goal?

Bucket

Bucket

Supporter
Transformers change voltage (and thereby current) from one standard to another, e.g. 120v 20a to 240v 10a. You don't need a different voltage, you just need more current, or in your case I think another 120v circuit.

eweisner

eweisner

Ok I understand that was hoping that it would produce additional current. Unfortunately I can't add any power. Is there a device that would work to do what I am wanting?

dralarms

dralarms

eweisner":ab7dgjt5 said:
Ok I understand that was hoping that it would produce additional current. Unfortunately I can't add any power. Is there a device that would work to do what I am wanting?

Are generator rated at about 8000kw or higher. Then you could run it all without adding another connection

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

P=ExI

Power in watts = Voltage x Amperage

Amperage = Watts/Voltage

Use this formula to calculate amperage per device. Verify if the breakers are truly 20 amp breakers with 12 gauge wire. You can figure on about 80% load on the 20 amp circuits before you get intermittent tripping on overload.

You will need to know the coke machine amperage (or watts to calculate amperage using formula above). Then you can see if you can distribute the loads more equally.

Good luck!!

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
I would put the popcorn machine, nachi cheese, and pizza warmer on one circuit. The other circuit would have the hotdog machine and coke cooler.

The only difference is adding the pizza warmer to the circuit with the popcorn machine and nacho cheese warmer. The key is that the popcorn machine is not a constant 1350 watts as it is not popping corn constantly.