Electric Pickup vs. Empty Camper

BMan

FLTENNHUNTER1

Let’s be real. Anyone that can tow a trailer isn’t going to be buying one anyway.
True, but, 20 years from now IF battery powered trucks have evolved to the point where it makes sense to own one it would be awesome to own one. Torque and horsepower are nearly instantaneous and 3 second 0-60 times would be exhilarating. Cost you a fortune in tires but exhilarating.

BMan

The article tried to put a happy face on the cost/mile, but that's not the whole story. If you are pulling a trailer say, 500 miles, the gasoline powered truck will make it in one day but the electrical truck will have one if not two hotel bills in the mix.

I had to laugh that the electrical truck had to abort its mission and turn back to find a charging spot. Too damn funny,

sgtwebb1

Supporter
I watched that video the other night, and just like I figured, the EV's range is a MAJOR issue.
I would really love it if they ever do invent an EV that;
  • costs no more than the same conventional vehicles
  • charges as fast as I can pump gas/diesel into my tank
  • has the same or better range as dino-power
  • has batteries that aren't horrendously dangerous to the environment if damaged or disposed of
  • and won't catch fire

Fix those 5 problems, and I'm in balls to the wall.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I watched that video the other night, and just like I figured, the EV's range is a MAJOR issue.
  • has batteries that aren't horrendously dangerous to the environment if damaged or disposed of
  • and won't catch fire

• reliant on foreign adversaries to supply products
  • environmentally friendly. For real, not the B.S. commie version of green. Otherwise, we should just keep burning fossil fuels.
  • no incentives from Uncle Sam
  • end ethanol. Stop burning our FOOD

sgtwebb1

Supporter
  • reliant on foreign adversaries to supply products
  • environmentally friendly. For real, not the B.S. commie version of green. Otherwise, we should just keep burning fossil fuels.
  • no incentives from Uncle Sam
  • end ethanol. Stop burning our FOOD
I agree wholeheartedly.
Everything about these EV's is wrong.

The components to make the batteries come almost 100% from China or Chinese-controlled countries.
While we've been busy with our stupid childish bullshit "January 6th" political theatrics, China has been busy procuring obligations from other countries rich in rare-earth minerals.
We're literally being shut out.
And Biden Inc. is neck fricking deep in it.

Bucket

Supporter
As long as I have something to tow, I wont be going all electric. Wish they would make some improvements to the f150 hybrid.
What improvements would you like to see? I don't own one but have considered it. I designed and built some of the equipment for the battery for that truck. I used the generator from a friend's working out in the field and it was very handy.

moondawg

• and won't catch fire

THIS!

Malo1ke

And battery packs that last more than 5-6 years and don't need to be replaced at $5,000-7,000 for a set.
I wonder how many vehicle miles 5years of batteries will get you. Doesn't sound like more than 100k miles. Now my 2 trucks have 240k and 350k miles. So, with an EV I would have to buy a new "engine" (batteries) several times to get the same odometer miles I get out of a traditional vehicle.

MUP

Supporter
True, but, 20 years from now IF battery powered trucks have evolved to the point where it makes sense to own one it would be awesome to own one. Torque and horsepower are nearly instantaneous and 3 second 0-60 times would be exhilarating. Cost you a fortune in tires but exhilarating.
Those tongues and hitches are gonna have to really upgrade then. 😄

Joe2Kool

The technology will improve over the years, but still a long way to go for EVs.

Of course for cost comparison, they chose the highest priced gas truck on the market.

Strange the computer couldn’t accurately recalculate the range. My ‘05 Chevy hits it pretty close switching from towing to not.

Running the AC really puts a drain on the batteries also. As my neighbor found out on his way home from KY. Started with 270 mile range. Made it about 200 before he called AAA for a tow.

Latest posts