EHD and Blue Tongue

Smo

I've been talking with some Guys up North on another Forum.

These Guys live and hunt in CWD zones.

The thought process is too " kill em' all" to control the disease.

So far it's not working , CWD is up 10% or so over the last 10 years.

With all the talk of QDM and not shooting younger bucks.

What's going to stop the deer population from eventually just dying off?

Apparently deer urine products is one of the culprits blamed with passing the disease along with deer farms.

Thoughts?

Winchester

Im confused, you titled this EHD and Blue tongue, then talk about CWD??
Blue tongue doesnt exist in deer, and thankfully we have never had a case of CWD in TN that im aware of, keep our fingers crossed!!
EHD is a naturally occurring disease thats been around since the beginning.
Unless CWD does make it to TN in a bad way, I dont see our deer just disappearing any time soon???

Smo

They are saying CWD is caused from deer urine.

How do we know if the urine we buy is contaminated or not.

I'm not well versed in any of this that's why I'm asking ?

I was under the impression Blue tongue and EHD were basically the same just in deer not in cows.

duckduck84

Smo":9nhij57a said:

I was under the impression Blue tongue and EHD were basically the same just in deer not in cows.
It's not caused from deer urine, one researcher suggests it may spread the prion that causes CWD.

You won't know if its contaminated or not, but I don't necessarily buy that it's being spread from commercial products. If that was the case it would be here by now.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Smo

Sorry I meant to say it's being transmitted by urine they claim.

Like I said I'm not up to date on any of this but apparently it's becoming a really big problem in certain areas of the Country.

If the spread of prions is distributed from urine to plant matter that the deer feed on, then it appears there's a potential to wipe out the entire population over time. Hopefully I'm wrong .

I may be wrong again but CWD and EHD both seem to have the same effect.... it kills deer!

You would think if this was such a big problem that strengient testing would be done on urine products being mass produced and sold.

States such as Wisconsin and Minnesota currently have bans in place on using urine based products as well as feeding, mineral and salt licks in an atempt to control the spread.

I surely would hate to know that I was contributing to the chance of it spreading to the South by using these type products.

I hope it never makes its way down here for the sake of future hunting Generations.

duckduck84

Smo":q31l9nlt said:
Sorry I meant to say it's being transmitted by urine they claim.

Like I said I'm not up to date on any of this but apparently it's becoming a really big problem in certain areas of the Country.

If the spread of prions is distributed from urine to plant matter that the deer feed on, then it appears there's a potential to wipe out the entire population over time. Hopefully I'm wrong .

I may be wrong again but CWD and EHD both seem to have the same effect.... it kills deer!

You would think if this was such a big problem that strengient testing would be done on urine products being mass produced and sold.

States such as Wisconsin and Minnesota currently have bans in place on using urine based products as well as feeding, mineral and salt licks in an atempt to control the spread.

I surely would hate to know that I was contributing to the chance of it spreading to the South by using these type products.

I hope it never makes its way down here for the sake of future hunting Generations.
I definitely agree that I wouldn't want to chance it. Honestly I have yet to see results of any lures or attractant that I've tried so it wouldn't pain me to forego urine products.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Jmed

The prions or virus that carries CWD can live dormant in the dirt for years. Killing may limit the spread but doesn't solve the problem.

larry ipock

Smo":1cizln60 said:

A cow is a rumen, I think deer a capable of getting it.

Latest posts