Egyptian geese

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Just saw a report of some Egyptian geese being seen in NW Arkansas.

I think I know the answer, but wondered....
If you see one of these in TN while waterfowl hunting can you legally kill them?

Just what we need, another invasive species that will help the snows destroy the duck population.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled

If you see one of these in TN while waterfowl hunting can you legally kill them?

Just what we need, another invasive species that will help the snows destroy the duck population.
I would think you can kill them, but not sure if it counts against your Canada limit, light goose limit, or if it's just a bonus.

Displaced_Vol

I would think you can kill them, but not sure if it counts against your Canada limit, light goose limit, or if it's just a bonus.
I started to say that too but then I hesitated because the way migratory birds are controlled at the federal level…if there's not a specific open season for a species it may be a no-go. I dunno though.

To your other point @RUGER , isn't the worry about the snow geese less than what it was a couple years ago? I can't remember where I heard or read about that but I thought the situation was a less drastic than once thought. As usual, I could be wrong

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
To your other point @RUGER , isn't the worry about the snow geese less than what it was a couple years ago? I can't remember where I heard or read about that but I thought the situation was a less drastic than once thought. As usual, I could be wrong
I think there's been a couple of bad hatch years, so not as many young birds, but there's still a crap ton of mature birds. They're just smarter now and stay away from the ditches farther and are harder to decoy.

TAFKAP

I saw the same thing. Arkansas flat out prohibits shooting them, but based on how TN treats invasive species such as coyotes & ring-necked doves, I would think they're fine to kill here.

TimberMan

I saw the same thing. Arkansas flat out prohibits shooting them, but based on how TN treats invasive species such as coyotes & ring-necked doves, I would think they're fine to kill here.
So does arkansas put a limit on every single species that possibly comes through the flyaway? I may be mistaken, but in TN if it is a duck and not listed as having a specific limit it counts toward your 6. Not sure about the goose situation though

TAFKAP

I don't know. But in the Facebook post made by Arkansas Game & Fish, they specifically said it is illegal to shoot an Egyptian duck in the state of AR.

TimberMan

I don't know. But in the Facebook post made by Arkansas Game & Fish, they specifically said it is illegal to shoot an Egyptian duck in the state of AR.
Yeah I found that after posting. So they are going to wait to see if the situation gets worse before making it better?

Latest posts